MOTHER @)#(&$#)($!@&#(!@*^ FLEXSEAL!!!!!!??????

Grotto

Feb 18, 2018
Catalina 22 Wilmington
So giving the bottom of the boat a final once over before painting when I rediscover a patch of black "paint" that didn't scrape sand or otherwise come loose. So I grab the 80 grit and the power sander to knock it down. Low and behold an unrepaired crack in the hull. This crack was repaired with flexseal on the outside. inside has glassed in support. Now when I bought the boat i knew there was a hull repair (you can see it in the lazarette) I asked about it and was assured the repair was sound. After prodding pushing and general going over the area to assure the hull was not compromised, I got down to the Acetone bath that would eventually clean off all the flexseal so I can clean out and repair the outer hull crack with epoxy, and put the "cut out repairs, and reglass this section of hull" for the next winter projects. To be fair it was repaired, and most likely like the row boat in the commercial totally water tight. I just can't imagine trusting my safety and the people on board to a quick fix like this.
</end rant>

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Ya, my previous O'Day 25 owner tried sealing a leaking knot meter transducer with flex seal, it did not work and was a slow leak in the V-Birth. Week one of my ownership I had the boat hauled out, the transducer removed and the hole glassed in properly.

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
cripes - sounds bad, but really not that bad. At least you caught it-

Just another project for the list... believe me, I know the feeling.

Grotto

Feb 18, 2018
Catalina 22 Wilmington
cripes - sounds bad, but really not that bad. At least you caught it-

Just another project for the list... believe me, I know the feeling.
it just adds to the long list of "what were they thinking. It honestly does not surprise me after the gallons of clear silicone I have scraped out of the interior of the boat.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
I feel you, brother.

I work on swimming pools for my day job. I see homeowner abortions you wouldn't believe, involving silicone, flexseal (in an ever-growing variety of products) and all manner of marvel mystery as-seen-on-TV miracle crap. Drives me insane.

I have to leave loud vacuums or fans running nearby so the customer can't hear me talking to myself about how stupid they are. Your string of expletives comes out of my mouth on a reel-to-reel. :soapbox:

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
Nothing sticks to silicone residue, so you're good. Probably never have to clean the cabin!