Morgan 27 keel reattachment advice needed

Mar 18, 2015
morgan 27 marathon
We have hit an object/reef, not really sure on our night crossing and water poured in from one of the keel bolts and around the mast base. The boat is in the boat yard now and drying. It looks like the calk seal on the outside separated all the way around the attachment point and some of the old epoxy filler chipped off.
My plan of action is to drop the keel just a little clean the area apply 5200, bring it back up, tighten the bolt nuts, then fill gaps with epoxy and calk around, done.
I don't know how the mast attaches to the lead keel or if there is more to look for or watch out for. I'm looking for any advice and opinions before I spend too much $ for sling time and run in to more unforeseen damage etc.
Also, any information on the cross section or details of that area (mast to keel attachment, any additional plating etc) of the boat would be greatly appreciated. Tom

Jun 10, 2015
morgan yachts 41 ketch aft cockpit maryland
Tom, I have some experience with keel stepped masts, and keel repair. First I'd say as long as your keel bolts are all excellent condition stainless, proceed with your plan to create a gap and make repairs, although I would recommend full removal to get a complete and thorough inspection of the hulls mating surface. Inspect for rot in the backbone. As for the keel. My experience has been that there is a step plate bolted to top of the keel, into which, the base of the mast sets. Sometimes there is a stainless rod preventing it from dislodging, but you should study your plate to see how the keel is kept.
Be generous with the 5200 especially around each keel bolt, when reinstalling, but work quickly to mate the keel to the hull after buttering it up.

If you have conventional steel keel bolts... I would recommend having stainless studs installed by a qualified metal smith.

I hope my opinions help...

Be well, Bob

Mar 18, 2015
morgan 27 marathon
Tom, I have some experience with keel stepped masts, and keel repair. First I'd say as long as your keel bolts are all excellent condition stainless, proceed with your plan to create a gap and make repairs, although I would recommend full removal to get a complete and thorough inspection of the hulls mating surface. Inspect for rot in the backbone. As for the keel. My experience has been that there is a step plate bolted to top of the keel, into which, the base of the mast sets. Sometimes there is a stainless rod preventing it from dislodging, but you should study your plate to see how the keel is kept.
Be generous with the 5200 especially around each keel bolt, when reinstalling, but work quickly..

Be well, Bob
Thank you Bob! Very Much appreciated. We'll be back in the Keys in the fall to undertake this project. Think working fast with 5200 is key here). Cheers!