more propane questions

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
OK, so I'm trying to put together a proper propane system from the far side of the moon, and it seemed to be going OK.
I bought the reg pictured below, a Trident Marine 1230-1411 L.P. Gas Regulator, for two tanks. Unfortunately, all I can purchase here are the European tanks which have the reg screw directly on the top of the tank. Can I run that after reg hose to the input of the Trident reg (red arrow) or must the French tank line be teed into the output line (black arrow) of the trident reg?
propane reg.jpg

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Call Trident.... they have a great tech department and will know the answer so you don't blow up.

Good Luck!!

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
I can't shed any light on the French tank configuration, but I can say without doubt that you cannot enter and regulator through the outlet. From the bit of research I have done you need a bag of adapters, and even then the standards are mixed from area to area, some refill tanks other required exchange of tanks, good luck
Regulator.JPG

capta

Jun 4, 2009
I can't shed any light on the French tank configuration, but I can say without doubt that you cannot enter and regulator through the outlet. From the bit of research I have done you need a bag of adapters, and even then the standards are mixed from area to area, some refill tanks other required exchange of tanks, good luck
View attachment 163037
Never had any intention of entering reg through the outlet, just bypassing the reg for that tank. Question was, can a regulated gas line pass through a second regulator, or must it bypass it?

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
I guess I am not understanding this statement, "or must the French tank line be teed into the output line (black arrow)", If the tank already has a reg on (reg screw?) then one would need to know what pressure is acceptable for the system they are connecting to and what the outlet side of the tank reg is. If its just a needle valve screw on the output of the tank the tank would still need its pressure regulated, so the connection would be at the red and green arrows of your diagram and the tank screw adjusted to your systems acceptable input pressure range. The 2 Trident regulators on that is a (2) stage reg not a reg for each tank.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Anybody else, I can't make heads or tails of Les's answer.
Can one run a regulated gas line into a second regulator to get the automatic switching feature or must one run the French regulated line into the stove feed after the Trident regulator?

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
Whether you can tee into the output line is dependent on what pressure is at the output of the French propane bottle, does it match the pressure requirements of your appliance. if yes then yes in no then the output of the French tank will need to be regulated.
You would have to put a valve between the output of the Trident regs and the tee'd connection if the pressures are correct (French tank to appliance requirement),

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
You will take tank pressure to each leg of your regulator (green / red) and bring appliance pressure out of the regulator (black). May need some hose pigtails.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Whether you can tee into the output line is dependent on what pressure is at the output of the French propane bottle, does it match the pressure requirements of your appliance. if yes then yes in no then the output of the French tank will need to be regulated.
You would have to put a valve between the output of the Trident regs and the tee'd connection if the pressures are correct (French tank to appliance requirement),
Wow. I've never had any problem operating any marine stove off French tanks, Turkish tanks or tanks I got in Bali, or anywhere else. Propane in small quantities is a low-pressure gas and the size of the tank and who regulates it seems unimportant. I've stood on a mountain top in Turkey and literally poured the liquid gas from their 100# cylinders into my 20s with a hose connected with hose clamps.
You can use the tiny several day tanks on your barbeque or hook it up to a 20# cylinder. Never seen any mention of pressures.
Anyway, Trident Marine did get back to me and the tech there seems to think I can attach a regulated line to their regulator input and their regulator will work fine on the gas output from the French tank/regulator.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Propane in a tank is the same pressure the world round (temperature dependent). Don’t matter if it is from France or Bali. Why you trying to step it through multiple regulators?

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Propane in a tank is the same pressure the world round (temperature dependent). Don’t matter if it is from France or Bali. Why you trying to step it through multiple regulators?
Because the European reg screws directly into the tank and the hose comes off that. That Trident is for later when I have two US tanks, but wanted to know if it would work with the Euro system in the meantime, so I can finish the installation of dual reg and solenoid all at one time.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
OK, so I'm trying to put together a proper propane system from the far side of the moon, and it seemed to be going OK.
I bought the reg pictured below, a Trident Marine 1230-1411 L.P. Gas Regulator, for two tanks. Unfortunately, all I can purchase here are the European tanks which have the reg screw directly on the top of the tank. Can I run that after reg hose to the input of the Trident reg (red arrow) or must the French tank line be teed into the output line (black arrow) of the trident reg?
View attachment 163031
That black arrow doesn’t seem to be pointing the right way, IMO. I would point the black down to show an outlet. Tell Trident to have second look at this picture.

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
Wow. I've never had any problem operating any marine stove off French tanks, Turkish tanks or tanks I got in Bali, or anywhere else. Propane in small quantities is a low-pressure gas and the size of the tank and who regulates it seems unimportant. I've stood on a mountain top in Turkey and literally poured the liquid gas from their 100# cylinders into my 20s with a hose connected with hose clamps.
You can use the tiny several day tanks on your barbeque or hook it up to a 20# cylinder. Never seen any mention of pressures.
Anyway, Trident Marine did get back to me and the tech there seems to think I can attach a regulated line to their regulator input and their regulator will work fine on the gas output from the French tank/regulator.
That's helpful being atop a mountain..... it so lessens your travel distance to the back side of the moon when one of chain smoking Euro-Asians drops his butt.....

capta

Jun 4, 2009
That black arrow doesn’t seem to be pointing the right way, IMO. I would point the black down to show an outlet. Tell Trident to have second look at this picture.
Trident never saw that pic, they know where the inlets and outlet are.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
The French use a different tank fitting, think they call it a dish fitting. Kind of a cup shape with a small threaded coupler. Is there a regulator built into that fitting? If so you should be able to take it out and adapt the tank fitting to a hose that fits up to the trident regulator input.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
Yes this is what I based my first answer on, it looked as if he was asking can I connect here (at the black arrow) either case I have been humbled, I did not realize I was in the presence of such greatness.