More Oberdorfer Raw Water Pump Info

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Well, I'd pay the extra bones for the easy fit. I'm just not sure right now what fits an XP'A' version of the M-25, if a -908 is required for a no-mod fit.

Perhaps the version of the Sherwood that is presently installed hold the key...but how the heck to know this?
Do you have a picture of your Sherwood?

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
Is the Sherwood on the engine mounted with bolts through a flange, or with bolts through clamps?

If a flange, you can get a -16 and grind the flange to fit. Go to a Kabota dealer and buy the gasket and use it as a pattern to cut the flange and drill the bolt holes. It is brass and shouldn't be too difficult to grind away. I just don't have a grinder.

If it is held on with clamps the -908 is a drop in. You can use the -908 on the flange mount version, but will need to buy the pricey mounting kit which includes the clamps and bolts.

Well, I'd pay the extra bones for the easy fit. I'm just not sure right now what fits an XP'A' version of the M-25, if a -908 is required for a no-mod fit.

Perhaps the version of the Sherwood that is presently installed hold the key...but how the heck to know this?

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
The flange on the -16 can also be shaped on a belt sander. I cut off the corners of my -16 with a hack saw, then shaped the flange on a belt sander to make it a -908.

Jan 10, 2015
. . Pensacola, FL
I'll have to go look closer, and take pics. The good news is that this is not something I need to do right now, so I've got time to get educated on this. The Sherwood in the boat right now has a new impeller, only has about 20 hours on it.

Dec 31, 2012
Catalina 28 mkll #649 Port Charlotte, fl
easy fix.... i got a 16 last year and cut to fit with a hack saw..... made gasket for drill instructions..... real easy fix and very happy to be rid of the sherwood.... on my xpb

May 2, 2012
Catalina 310 Toronto, Ontario
Makes me laugh. What don't manufactures get !!!!! The N202M-908 is a great new pump but they are going for the CASH GRAB.:naughty: If they brought it more in line with the price of the N202M-16 they would have a HELL OF A LOT more sales than there getting. As soon as I fined a supplier here in Ontario I definitely going for the modified N202M-16.

Cheers
2 Old Pirates

KZW

May 17, 2014
I'm amazed at the price increase since I installed my pump just a few months back.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I'm hoping the -16 fits a 25XPA with no trouble.
Sluggo, from what I've read here, the XPB has the pump on the starboard side of the engine (per Tom's picture and many others), the XPA (and the M25 and M25XP) have the pump on the PORT side. If yours is on the port side, then, yes, it will. That's what this and many other C310 Forum posts have been discussing, thanks to Jesse's article.

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 310 #147 Oakville Yacht Squadron
So you just take the -16 and grind off all the mounting flange EXCEPT for the clamping ring to make it into a 908.
Should be a resale market opportunity in that!!
Peter

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
So you just take the -16 and grind off all the mounting flange EXCEPT for the clamping ring to make it into a 908.
Should be a resale market opportunity in that!!
Peter
Or maybe take a 16 to local machine shop?
Would using the 16 bolt holes make for a more secure installation than the 908 clamps?
Also less work.

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 310 #147 Oakville Yacht Squadron
Or maybe take a 16 to local machine shop? Would using the 16 bolt holes make for a more secure installation than the 908 clamps? Also less work.
908 doesn't have a bolt on flange mounting; just the clamping ring

Jan 10, 2015
. . Pensacola, FL
Ok, finally took a couple of pics of the Sherwood pump on my -25XPA. I'm hoping the -16 pump will bolt right up without cutting/hacking/grinding.

Am I correct?

Attachments

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
908 doesn't have a bolt on flange mounting; just the clamping ring
What I meant to ask is; buying the -16 over the 908 gives two mounting options. One can either grind away a little and use the holes in the flange to bolt the unit to the engine or grind away a little more to make it into a 908 flange and use the exsisting clamps to secure the pump. Both appear to work.
Somehow the former seems more robust?

KZW

May 17, 2014
Or maybe take a 16 to local machine shop?
Would using the 16 bolt holes make for a more secure installation than the 908 clamps?
Also less work.
In my opinion yes. I'm not a big fan of the clamps holding in my Oberdorfer.

KZW

May 17, 2014
What I meant to ask is; buying the -16 over the 908 gives two mounting options. One can either grind away a little and use the holes in the flange to bolt the unit to the engine or grind away a little more to make it into a 908 flange and use the exsisting clamps to secure the pump. Both appear to work.
Somehow the former seems more robust?
However the holes in the -16 flange don't exactly line up on the M-25 XPB. I cannot attest to the other models. You will need to elongate them for the XPB. There is a post somewhere that says a Kabota gasket makes the perfect template.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Ok, finally took a couple of pics of the Sherwood pump on my -25XPA. I'm hoping the -16 pump will bolt right up without cutting/hacking/grinding.

Am I correct?
Good news! That looks great. You should have no trouble with installing an Oberdorfer. Even if you have to grind an edge or match a bolt hole pattern. All the info you need you already have (or it's here on this 'site).