More about anchoring and Admirality Law

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I’m sure everyone will it agree common sense dictates proof of that statement.
Another historical first? Two commonsense statements in one thread? I'm missing it, but something feels fishy (froggy?)

Unless the man of very little means was clearly at fault while boating under the influence. And the drunk water skier he was pulling got killed. At night. When water skiing is *CLEARLY* not allowed. Even if sober.
Where's the rich, self-important, heartless, industrialist who walks all over other people's civil rights, in this scenario? If he's there, somewhere, it's still his responsibility to pay for whatever happened.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I wonder if that could ever be construed as an action you could have taken. Not sayin', just musing.

My counter argument would be that if I expected wind from the beam, having bow and stern anchors out is well know to be poor seamanship.
---
Ye, I've been thumped in the night several times. In each case the person arrived after dark, I put fenders out (no where to go), and each time they didn't notice and didn't acknowledge. I now avoid that harbor (Chesapeake City).
Yeah, well, if I blew into the guy I'm sure somehow it could be construed that I might have avoided collision by upping my rode some, or by taking some other action. The "boat on the move" probably has more of the "duty" than the one fixed to the bottom by two anchors. That also means that one would have to maintain anchor watch all night, or get faulted there as well. The "victim" always seems to be the dope asleep on his boat after anchoring improperly too close to another, totally lacking in knowledge of proper maritime practices, or indifferent to them, etc. If you're the "better boater" then you had better stay out of the way of those guys.:yikes:

Last edited: