More 34 core repairs

May 6, 2010
1984 Oday 39 79 Milwaukee
One of the remaining areas of wet core I needed to address on our boat was the helm seat. The emergency tiller access plate was installed on the slightly curved helm seat. When you tighten the flat access cover (which has an o-ring to seal out moisture) against a flange that is not flat, you do not get a watertight seal. I believe this was the source of moisture ingress to the rudder core which I dealt with a few years ago, and also into the balsa core in the helm seat. Since I am recovering the cockpit non-skid with Isiteek anyway, and because the rudder post makes a repair from below difficult, I cut the top off the helm seat to replace the balsa core. I took this opportunity to fill the area around the rudder post with thickened epoxy, and build up the sloped sides around the access with some layers of mat. Now the housing fits flush in the hole, and the plate should seal well. This weekend I got the Isiteek installed on the helm seat and propane locker lids, but I am waiting for warmer weather to caulk around them.

20170128_111741.jpg
20170401_114205.jpg

20170403_133003.jpg

May 6, 2010
Balsa, it worked for the last 34 years, with the epoxy sealing it it should last at least 34 more!

Aug 17, 2010
Oday 35 Barrington
Where did you source the Isiteek? I've been poking through their website and cannot find any suppliers...

May 6, 2010
I bought my first batch from the distributer in Florida - it is Flexiteek, they just market Isiteek to do it yourselfers, whereas the Flexiteek is made to pattern by them. I found a big roll on Ebay for my last project but it doesn't come up very often.

Aug 17, 2010
Oday 35 Barrington
Yes, I looked at the Flexiteek and the Isiteek website, and filled out the inquiry form, and so far have received no response. If fleaBay is there retail distribution strategy, fleaBay it is!

Now that I have looked, it seems that I can find Flexiteek on eBay from Guangdong, China (that's a red flag), or I could easily source similar products made from EVA, again from China...

Last edited: