Registered users don't see ads

More 170 Notes.

Discussion in 'Day Sailers' started by Shorefun, Sep 30, 2018. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. Shorefun

Shorefun

Joined Sep 5, 2018
    89 posts, 7 likes
    Hunter 170
    US Northfield, NJ
    So I was just doing some basic clean up, no time to get more involved today.

Found the peeled up anti-skid left behind a black ring. Denatured alcohol and some rubbing took it off. Same goes for some other stuff on I cleaned off. The simple plastic pry bar set from Harbor Freight is coming in handy as one is a fairly sharp scraping face.

My mast tabernacle had some bending on the sides. They came out easy. I used some scrap metal blocks and a large C clamp to fix the bowed out side. The top of the rudder bracket was bent a bit so a little careful pressure in the right places and it came straight. I am going to talk to a guy I know about welding some stainless braces on either side for some strength. He might have some scrap around that will do the job. I saw someone elseo on the board had done this. After seeing how flexible the bracket is I can see where the braces are a simple fix to stiffen it up.

Still looking for the Expedition EL so I can tow it.

JimInPB likes this.
  2. JimInPB

JimInPB

Joined Aug 22, 2017
    1,315 posts, 383 likes
    Hunter 212 & 170
    us West Palm Beach
    Thanks for the favorable report on rubbing alcohol getting those marks off. That may be useful info for me in the foreseeable future.

If I were you, I might think twice before beefing up that rudder bracket too much. I'd prefer to put a bit of a twist in a bracket, rather than tear it off the little transom post, if I were to accidentally run the rudder into a firm object somewhere.

3. Shorefun

Shorefun

Joined Sep 5, 2018
    89 posts, 7 likes
    Hunter 170
    US Northfield, NJ
    I noticed that they use the same bracket for the 18 and the 170. If you look at the picture in the parts section you will see they added a brace to stiffen the upper part. That part was bent down on mine, I can see that happening because you trailer with the mast pushing down there. Several guys commented about the bracket letting the rudder move a bit too.
    So I got some stainless and I have made a bracket like the one in the store picture. Just need to fire up my TIG welder and put it in place.

4. JimInPB

JimInPB

Joined Aug 22, 2017
    1,315 posts, 383 likes
    Hunter 212 & 170
    us West Palm Beach
    Be sure to pasivate when you are done welding.