Mooring recommendations????

Jan 19, 2019
Oday 27 Hudson, Wisconsin
We have a mooring spot at our local river (St. Croix, Wisconsin), but have to set up our anchor system. I've been trying to do a bit of research, and am leaning toward a pyramid or a mushroom anchor (since the logistics of a drum filled with cement seems daunting, and maybe not as secure). Anyone have any suggestions? I see the rule of thumb is 5-10lbs per foot of boat - so for a Macgregor 26 - 130-260 pounds seems right, but then I see the anchor companies recommend quite a bit more weight - is this because they are thinking about heavier motor boats???
Any suggestions welcome!

Thanks!

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
I would offer that you should build a worst case plan. If in doubt oversize, overdesign.

There are several components in creating a secure mooring but the one that I feel you should focus on is the component(s) on the river bottom. If this part drags or fails due to under design it won’t matter what is above it. Issues that will define this are:
Consistency of the bottom (mud, sand, flat rock etc)
Water current (plan for max, flood erosion etc.)
Max size of vessel that will be moored (you might change boats or a larger boat might attach in an emergency)

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
I thought I should justify my bias for oversize, overdesign to accommodate worst case. Most of the time our boat sits calmly at our mooring BUT this can happen too.

87B67C94-D608-4F6A-ADEA-36E76AF64ACD.jpeg

CAED0815-426C-4E88-9FA8-4A220F5B969A.jpeg

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
If you’re in a mooring field that requires a permit there will likely be local regulations you need to follow.
A mooring is a system that requires suitable scope of chain and swivel, float and penants (2).
Here is some good info https://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/document.do?docId=1107.
Also, to avoid having your pennants snag beneath the float please note the following: Your float should sized so that the waterline is at the midpoint or higher, so the pennants can ride over it (not under) if they go slack then pull in the opposite direction. The pennants should have floats to keep the lines from sinking when they go slack, so they can ride over the ball, and not under.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
SB
A few things to consider BEFORE you get into setting up your mooring if you haven't already thought of them are:
Are there solid points on your boat to attach the painters to? Most mooring setups have two painters attached to one or more cleats that have backing plates etc.)
Are there fittings on your foredeck that the painters can run through to minimize chafing?
Do you have a "stable" dingy to travel from shore to your mooring and to provide a good platform for entering and exiting the cockpit of your boat?

It would also be useful if you could provide some detail as to the "conditions" at your selected mooring site.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
i took a railroad car wheel, welded a 1" bar/loop, attached heavy chain, has not moved in 50 yrs. most locals have done the same in sturgeon bay. i copied them. you can buy them at a salvage yard.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Wow!! That's on a mooring?
Yes. You can see the two painters in the first photo, primary has a black coloured snubber on it.
It was a very rare day from and wind direction and strength. Weather front moved in quickly and I had no time to get the boat somewhere else. Long hours watching it thrash and expected it to end up all over my yard but everything held. Gained a lot of confidence in the abilities of the boat after that.