Mooring Hunter 140 on buoy

Napper

Jun 26, 2018
Hunter 140 Traverse City, MI
Can someone recommend a set up for mooring a Hunter 140 on buoy? I recently was given an old Hunter 140 and don't have beach space, but can keep it on a buoy. I have a good buoy set up, but because of the lack of cleats or other attachment points I am not sure of how to connect to the buoy.

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
I don't have one, so here is just one idea. Maybe an actual owner can chime in. From the photos I saw, I gather the 140 lacks a bow eye for a trailer; that is normally where I see the recommendation for a mooring pendant. Our 23 was on its mooring that way, as is a 19 foot bowrider we have.

I think the strongest attachment point is likely the base of the mast, but if you just tie it there it won't likely hand straight off the buoy. If it were me, I'd rig a line (like 3/8 3-strand nylon, maybe even 1/4 since this is a light-ish boat) with a carabiner or snap hook so it can be looped around the mast base and also ahead of the forestay, at deck level. It would be just long enough to loop around the mast and forestay with just a little slack when snapped around, and would be easy to remove when you sail. Put a small loop into the line at one point, or maybe just use the fitting forming the closed loop, and attach your mooring pendant to that. Seems to me the load would be mostly pulling against the mast base and step, and any sidewys pressure on the stay as it swings would be tolerable.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
After looking at some pictures of the 140, a shackle on the fore stay attachment point would probably be fine to hold the boat. The big problem with putting it on a mooring, is going to be rainwater filling the boat.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Too long to discuss but if you would like to talk about that. Former dealer perspective who saw the production of that boat