Moorage

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dick Carey

Mooring in Portsmouth, RI

We keep our 33.5 on a mooring in Portsmouth, RI. Cost per season is $875 for a mooring for this size boat. (About 3 times that for a slip. Both slips and moorings are hard to find. Our marina was full (for the season) in very early May.

S

Sam Lust

Cheap!

I'm in Forked River, NJ in a "lagoon" about a third of a mile from the state- run marina where John Kudera keeps his boat. A lagoon is a man-made body of water. As the developers built, they dug ditches and bulkheaded so people could buy "water-front" property. The original intent in the development where we bought a house was that there would be a communal dock area with slips, clubhouse and facilities for home owners in the neighborhood. When the houses were all sold the builder disappeared. So all that got built was the 150 foot by 400 foot lagoon. The good news? I moor my '83 Hunter 33 for FREE in what is probably the best Hurricane hidey-hole in the state. There are usually anywhere from 8 to 15 boats there at any given time. We take turns trimming what little grass there is and keeping the area presentable. We use a form of Mediterranean mooring. (The poles pulled out years before I got there.) Backing into the slip is interesting. We swing around the mooring bouy, which my wife picks up at the bow, hit reverse at just the right moment based on speed, wind, and humor of the gods and use reverse prop walk to swing us in and back between the ropes of the neighbor boats. A mistake gives me the opportunity to go into the VERY nasty water to free the prop. There is no electricity and no fresh water. Security is provided by a very large, very possessive fellow with a Louisville Slugger in the house directly across the street. I hand carry fuel and water to the boat, and often carry out pump out the same way. (Usually in different jugs.) There is a pump out boat supplied by the local towns providing free pump out at the major anchorages. Very professional and convenient. It's about a 20 minute run out to Barnegat Bay and my 4 foot keel only hits a few times on the way out. The run to the local marina on my side of the river is only about 10 minutes. They charge me $4.00 a foot to pull the boat in or out and set it on my trailer, plus $95.00 to step or bring down the mast. That means about $240 in and $240 out, with tax. I drag the boat home with my Chevy Astro at a walking pace. (I was in a big hurry this spring and hit 10 miles per hour!) The boat sits in the side yard which is done in crushed stone for just that purpose for the winter. I can roll out of the house and work on it any time. It's a boating community so the neighbors are used to seeing boats in the yard. That means that my slip expenses work out to about $500 a year. If I could only get project expenses that low!

T

Tom FitzGibbon

The Price for Deeper Water in NJ

Unlike Barnegat Bay sailors who seem to pay less but have to contend with lots of shallow water, I pay $90 per foot March to December for a slip with electricity, fresh water, phone and cable tv (you have to arrange phone and CATV service with those companies, but the hookups are at the slip). That cost includes good security, showers and bathrooms, pool (with a pool bar), pump out (cost included in slip charges), fuel dock, ice, full time dock master and assistant, weekend dock boys, on-site restaurant and walking distance to ocean beach. The downside is I have to go under 2 bridges that only open on a schedule on weekend days in the summer so it takes about an hour to get to open water.

R

Rick Harvey

Bring your wallets when you come to MA

Slips average over a $100 a foot and are in high demand. Moorings generally are $600 - $900 and a few are available. I was lucky enough to purchase my mooring in Salem, MA. So other than the annual service fee, its free.

M

mark schaefer

highest so far...capri marina..manhasset bay

115 per foot summer at dock plus electric.....30 per foot wet in the winter....they have us by the short hairs

M

Marvin Otto

In New Orleans at a marina managed by the levee board -- have to be here to appreciate that element -- we pay $60 a month for a 30 ft. Slip. Marina has electricity available, supplied by and payment to a local utility. There are restrooms, showers, laundry, fuel dock and free pump out available, though I hear the fuel dock is often not manned. I carry fuel to the boat. There is 24/7 security. The price includes somes extra fees such as environmental fee, etc. I feel really lucky to moor in the south -- no winter, thus no winter haul out or spring launching. We sail all year round -- come on down!

M

Melissa Hawley

Best in the West

I keep my Hunter 28.5 at the Everett Marine, located just 20 miles north of Seattle. Just a days sail from the fabulous San Juan and Canadian Gulf Islands. I have strong floating cement docks, water and electricity. The marina has high security with resturants, shops and stores , known as the Everett Marina Village. The marina also has haul out facilities and boat yard to accomodate all needs. This Marina is property of the City of Everett. I believe it is the largest marina north of San Diego. I keep my boat in the water year round and the price is 3.25 per ft, per month. With tax and all, I spend a little over $100.00 each month. I spent 6 years in Newport RI. and have paid much more for just a mooring ball. I do feell I have the best in the west.

R

R. Palaia

Tom FitzGibbon, where in Mon. Beach are you?

Tom, I'm at Atlantis (next to the Channel Club). I agree, where we are, there is plenty of depth, access to L.I.Sound cruising, etc. I don't mind the ride out to the bay, the scenery is nice. I'm still trying to decide if I like the new 'quarter hour' openings on the Highlands bridge. I was thinking of making a petition to the U.S.C.G. at Sandy Hook about going back to the old schedule. What do you think?? Roc

R

Rob Carvette

Cape Cod

I knew I paid a lot but I might be paying the most on this thread .... I do have a beautiful slip that's in a private marina that has just 15 slips. It's actually in the marina owners back yard w/parking. No other facilities, just a slip w/ water and electricity for $115.00 per foot + $200.00 electricity whether I use it or not. The Marina right next door is $165.00 per foot with a million year waiting list AND they don't take sailboats due to the fact they can't fill their tanks every weekend. After seeing the other options on Nantucket Sound, Vineyard Sound, and Newport RI, I think I've got one of the best spots around ... and I'm paying for it.

Aug 11, 2006
Hunter H260 Traverse City
East Coast! Sailing must be a rich man's hobby...

And I thought $7.00/ft. with unlimited water and electricity, plus bathrooms, showers, and laundry facilities was expensive... BUT we DO have to pay extra for our own telephone and cable!

R

Ron Dague

What is your Season?

I keep my boat behind a private residence, just north of Ft. Lauderdale. At $175/month, I calculate a little over $5.00 a foot per month, including water and electricity for my h34. By the way, we people respond, you might tell whether your rate if for a season, or month, and how long your season is. I'm sure that no one is paying $100 per foot per month, are you? I used to pay $985 for my 25 ft. slip in Milwaukee's public marina, but that being for a 6 month season, it came to about $6.25 a foot.

B

bill walton

purchase

Many of the marinas in the Keys have gone the condo route. I purchased my hole in the water. With very few new slips being constructed down here it will have some value when I decide it's time to get out of the big boat business and get something that will fit behind my house.

G

Garry Elmer

Groton/Mystic/New London CT

Slip with electricity $36/ft per season at the Marina at the Naval Submarine Base at Groton CT (on the Thames River). The price may be a little more for civilians but it is open to them. $2700 for a 33 footer, for the season, at a slip with electricity in the Mystic River. Garry Elmer http://www.99main.com/~elmergw/

T

Tom FitzGibbon

Roc, I'm Right Next Door...

at The Channel Club. I also enjoy the ride to the bay, but I agree with you that the new bridge schedule is terrible. I could usually count on a 10 minute wait for the second bridge as I find I need 20 minutes on average for the trip between them. But now, as you know, that means a 25 minute wait. BTW, am I the only one that finds the daytime bridge master at Highlands to be nasty and obnoxious? Drop me an e-mail (abbys.owners@worldnet.att.net) and let's see if we can arrange to meet for a drink at Sallee Tee's (or at the Atlantis if you prefer) one evening. Tom

S

Stephen Ostrander

high rent district

Here in the Great Lakes we pay $2300.00 for a 38' slip that we can use from May 15 to Oct. 15. $2300 divided by 5 months = $460/mth div by 33' boat = $13.94/ft/mth same slip is $26.00/day for transient dockage

M

Mike O'Connor

To: John Kudera

John, I am very interested in state park moorage in my area, do you know of any further north in the monmouth county area. I live in middletown, and moor in fair haven, which to my pocket book is expensive. It is also a pain in the stern for me to get to especially on weekends. Any info would be appreciated Thank you Mike O'Connor

T

Tom FitzGibbon

To Mike O'Connor

There is a state marina in Leonardo, not too far off Rte 36. If I remember right, it is not far west of NWS Earle. It's fairly small, but nice. We looked at it in June, 1998 and at the time were told there was a 3 year waiting list. Also, check out http://www.state.nj.us/dep/forestry/parks/marinas.htm for a list of NJ state marinas. Tom FitzGibbon S/V Plan B

J

Jim Benedict

Bear Lake State Park Marina, Utah

The cost for my slip is $650 for the five month season we have here. that includes water and power hookups. The price is fairly stable. The waiting list is long.

S

Stan Duncan

Pensacola Bay

I pay $5.25 per month per foot in Pensacola for a small, well run marina that includes rest rooms with shower. It has fresh water and metered electricity for each slip. Seems reasonable to me as our sailing season here is 12 months.

Sep 24, 1999
Hunter H46LE Sausalito
Silicon Valley

Down here in Redwood City in South San Francisco Bay, I'm paying $11.00 per foot per month. This includes a liveaboard fee and a mandatory pumpout fee but does not include electricity. It's a five minute walk to the nearest restroom, the docks do not have security gates, there are no dock boxes and I'm only able to get over the bar blocking my slip in tides greater than 3.5 feet. And the sad thing is that so many people want a liveaboard slip here in Pete's Harbor that they won't even take your name for the waitlist anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.