Moonlight Sailing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 27_75-84 Wilmington, NC
Last year, one of the Sail Magazine editors listed 10 things we should do before winterizing our sailboats. One of them was to go sailing at night under a full moon. Well this September, I finally made it. Went sailing on the Neuse River in NC under a full moon and it was GREAT. Winds were light and the moonshine lit up the water like shimmering silver. Absolutely beautiful and highly recommended. As a side, on my way back to my slip, I passed a schooner that had been blown on to the shore by the recent hurricane- the masthead anchor light was on - better safe..... All in fun.:)

Oct 29, 2010
Hunter 36 Pensacola
Night preferred

We prefer to sail at night. there is less traffic and less noise, not to mention you don't have to wear sunscreen. Last Tuesday we sailed into the gulf and had it all to ourselves. Seas were 2-3 ft with 10-15knts of wind. Make sure to catch the moon as it rises and the sun is setting.

Ed H

Sep 15, 2010
Hunter 33_77-83 Regent Point Marina, Virginia
Re: Night preferred

We love night sailing-and try to avoid the shallow water with crab pots. When it is time to anchor, if we have to use the engine, we put 2 people on the bow with strong flashlights.

Jun 8, 2004
C&C Frigate 36 St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia
Its such a pleasure to sail at night in waters you know well. I often solo-sail at night (can't convince anyone else in the family to come...). The only time I don't like sailing at night is when there is fishing gear in the water. Fortunately in my part of the world, this is largely during the winter months when the sail boats are hauled out!

Mar 13, 2011
Seaward Fox 19 Lakeview, Ohio
We LOVE and PREFER to sail at night. We're on a smaller lake in Ohio with lots of lit landmarks so it's easy to know where you are at any given point. You're right. It's quiet, lovely, and so romantic. Just had an evening sail on Sunday before the storm came in and the sky was beautiful!

eliems

Apr 26, 2011
Hunter H28 Port Moody
Did my first night sail a few weeks back, went down to the end of Indian Arm where there are no city lights, just the sea and the mountains. No moon and black as ink.

I followed the GPS to the little bay I know well and walked to the bow to see the shoreline, slowly approaching at idle with autopilot. When I finally saw the shore it was 30 feet away! I ran to the cockpit and put her in reverse hittling the throttle hard. The depth read 9 feet - 8 feet - 7- feet ---- 8 feet - 9 feet Whew!!!

Dropped anchor and took the Boxer to shoe in the dingy. Arrived at soom reeds/tall grass and told him to jump out which he did. Then we found out this was still deep water and he swims like a brick! "Back in the boat!"

Pulled him into the dingy and rowed along trying to see a place to land and finally found one. Started a camp fire, cracked a beer, had a good laugh.

Apr 5, 2010
Catalina 27- 1984 Grapevine
My wife and I have always loved the full moon sails. I did discover under no moon how completely black and featureless our lake is and how many people are bobbing about without any lights whatsoever.

Aug 9, 2005
Hunter 260 Sarasota,FL
On a perfectly moonlit sailing night late last season the Admiral and I were reclining in the peaceful bliss of an immeasurably relaxing situation. In the quiet darkness we were quite rudely interrupted by the chirping and bright display of her cell phone reminding her of some completely unimportant event. With as much tact as I could muster I said something like "why don't you just turn that thing off". She flipped the lid shut and in the peaceful darkness placed it into the cup holder next to her.

A few seconds later I noticed a faint flickering coming from the spot she had stowed it and again said "I thought you turned that infernal thing off" to which she said "I DID". Looking again we both focused on the flickering which now resembled oddly mesmerizing deep red sparks. It dawned on us both at the same time that while she had indeed turned it off, she'd sat it down in the drink holder squarely submerged in the dark spot that was also holding an equally dark and rather full glass of her favorite Merlot.

The sparks flew between us and within her phone for a few more seconds as it became apparent that there would be no saving a rather expensive cell phone which now had a Merlot app installed with an unapproved procedure. Wine submersion.

$300 later and a blown mood on one of our moonlit sails I've learned to first stow your electronics (or hide them if you must) where they won't interact with any part of your well crafted and dimly lit romantic effort. :)

Mike and Kelli

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 27_75-84 Wilmington, NC
Thanks for the great stories, for those interested, the net full moon in Oct. 11.

Sep 26, 2011
Hunter 33_77-83 Cedar Creek Sailing Center, NJ
We are going to the boat show this weeked, but when we come back we plan to go for a moonlight sail. It is one of the best times to be on the bay. Narry a powerboater. Last time I went out, we had an 18 knot wind out of the southwest. This allowed us to sail about 6 miles on a beam reach before tacking to comeback toward our creek. It was so much fun clipping along at 6+ knots with a reefed main and partial furled headsail, that we made the track twice before tucking behind a peninsula in a protected cove to drop a hook for the night. Two other times this summer, the wind was a more gentle 10 knots and was equally as enjoyable and maybe a bit more relaxing. The chart plotter helps with navigating and finding our unlit markers, just have to dim the display so that it does not overpower the helmsman's eyes. We keep an unlit LED lantern in the cock pit and a spotlight handy just in case. So far, no issues. One of the best times to go out IMHO.

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Hunter 41DS Punta Gorda, FL
Last year while at anchor (with 3 other boats) we decided to go out for a moonlight sail. Two of us slipped anchor and went out. The wind was perfect, the moon bright and it was an amazing and beautiful sail! We still talk about it when telling "sea stories" in the cockpit and around the campfire. Have not had another opportunity but we will.....

Oct 6, 2011
CM 32 USA
Just getting back into sailing. Our first time out on the new purchase was at night inder the moon. It was a half moon, does that count? lol

Sep 26, 2011
Hunter 33_77-83 Cedar Creek Sailing Center, NJ
Went out Saturday night even though the wind was nearly non-existent. We set out just after 6pm and enjoyed the gloaming over a glassy sea under low power motor sail. It was nice, with temps hovering around 75. After about 30 minutes like this, the wind pick up steadily. We cut the engine and watched the lights of the houses along the shore come into view. A few fisherman heading down to the Barnegat Inlet showed their red port running lights. A few boats heading north glowed green. It was fun to imagine where they had been and what they we planning. The temperature dropped quite a bit by the time we were done after 11pm. The apparent wind was reading 12 knots, and boat speed on a beat ran from 3.5 to 4.5 knots. The demarcation of land and water was clear. The surface of the water was quite visible. Very few boats were out and it felt like the bay was all ours. The admiral was getting chilled by the time we got back to our slip, but it was a splendid sail even at 59 degrees at the conclusion. We could not have enjoyed a sail this past weekend if we did not take advantage of the bright moon which lit the marker bouys on our progress back up the creek. Tonight we have a full moon, but with the cloud cover it will not help much. I hope someone else out there farther south can get out there and have some night sailing fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.