Monumentally Annoyed

Jan 20, 2017
Yamaha 33 Vancouver
I needed to replace the cutlass bearing on my Yamaha 33, so I hunted around for a few reputable shops for a quote on the work.

Two told me that the job was "very complex" and that they were too preoccupied with other matters at the moment.

The third took a week-and-a-half to get back to me with a quote, and when he did, suggested that 9 hours at $100/hour would just about settle things nicely...not including parts.

So, I decided to do the work myself. Rented a wheel puller and a bearing puller, and with no prior experience (apart from watching some vids on the subject on YouTube), managed to complete the job successfully in under two hours.

Why are these marine repair people such unbelievable shysters?

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Don't get annoyed, this is just commerce. shops will bid what they want to charge to do it. Maybe they don't like to do that kind of work. Or maybe they're busy. maybe it's just not their fav job, banging around on some old boat they've never seen before. . it's always about the price.

Jan 20, 2017
Yamaha 33 Vancouver
Don't get annoyed, this is just commerce. shops will bid what they want to charge to do it. Maybe they don't like to do that kind of work. Or maybe they're busy. maybe it's just not their fav job, banging around on some old boat they've never seen before. . it's always about the price.
True enough, but obviously it's easy money for anyone with even some passing experience in this game, as most work on boats is simplicity itself. With a little thought, the right tools, and some patience, it's rather brainless.
However, as a consequence of being a money-grubbing wank, or incorrigibly lazy, they've almost made themselves irredeemable. If someone were to ask if I could suggest a reputable repair shop, I'd say no, but I could recommend a few shops to avoid.

These people could break new ground into a massive market if they weren't so low and ulcerous.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
The real wankers are the shops that want to charge like that and don't let ya do it yourself.

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
I know it. Not a warm feeling.
It's the long legacy and endless stories of "marine" rip offs.

However, many pay it. The powerboat guy in the slip next to me almost brags about how much money he spends. Throws money around like "Good mornings".
The sailor across from me complains but accepts it. "The yard hit me with $8,000 in repairs and I was only in for bottom paint. I think they make up a lot of these 'problems.'"

These customers have the money, and not the time or will to DIY.

I'll add my most recent. :)
Oberdorfer raw side pump water seal started weeping. Removed pump and disassembled. Decided it was only the seal. Ordered parts kit.
Didn't want to damage pump or install new poorly, so asked local yard to quote for them to push out old and press in new bushing and seals. Never called me back.
A marine repair shop said $260 including parts. That's with me handing them the palm-sized pump in person. Mentioned "tear down" prior to seal replacement. What? Took me 3 minutes. 4 bolts and a snap ring.
Also "bead blasting". And other nonsense.
Another shop specializing in marine pumps said $100 not including parts.
I ultimately took it to an auto machine shop. Guy did it for $40, and was a little apologetic at that. Tried to explain to me that the pump was designed to be able to do this repair at sea. Use a socket and hammer etc -which I knew, but since I was ashore...-

Plus $60 mail order parts, total cost $100. The parts kit also came with an impeller, which I'll always need, so total cost not that much.

This is the little pump, and its parts replaced that would have cost $200 in labor at one shop, and $100 at another:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2017
Irwin 38 Palacios
House of Boats in Rock Port Texas just replaced my citation 39"s cutlass bearing for 250.00 including the bearing. Good Yard!