Monohulls with inverted bows

Bosman

Oct 24, 2010
Solina 27 Wabamun, Alberta
What I like is the fact these boats will have unmistakable lines, in the world were majority of the production vessels look alike, similarly to vehicles.
As far as the wet ride is concerned, thankfully these boats will not have to run 35kt and zigzag to avoid the wolf packs.
For the occasional spray (which is part of fun and these boats are not meant to cross the oceans) , that is why sprayhoods were invented. As the name suggests, they protect the crew from water spray. In my opinion this is reasonable compromise to avoid slowing down when dealing with non leisure sail conditions. Knowing the other boats are falling behind is priceless

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I’m not sure hanging from anti-gravity boots in your bed room qualifies.:confused:
;^) well that would have been better then what I did.... we got out butts handed to us. The boat has new sails and they are cut for crap. The main is so full and baggy that we have to pulled every control super tight just to make it sort of fit. You see how far the boom is down just to try and take some of the draft and shape out of the sail. Depending on breeze we ranged from being mildly uncompetitive to wildly uncompetitive. New sails on the way,

Jul 26, 2016
American Sail 18 MDR
Well.. It does increase the waterline a tiny bit. Interior looks like the MacGregor interior. Hope it is fast without having to hang a ton of meat to windward.

Do they have to sleep like bats in there? hanging from roof with anti-gravity boots

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
So, the apparent advantage to an inverted bow is... to reduce pounding? To give her less weather helm? To catch the bow wake and trim her level while climbing to a plane?
What is the thinking?
- Will (Dragonfly)

Nov 8, 2010
So, the apparent advantage to an inverted bow is... to reduce pounding? To give her less weather helm? To catch the bow wake and trim her level while climbing to a plane?
What is the thinking?
- Will (Dragonfly)
It’s 98% cosmetic. For all intents and purposes the same as a vertical bow.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Big ships put bulbs below their waterline that stuck out ahead of the bow. The idea was to push a column of water ahead of them to increase waterline length and improve their hull speed. The trade off was that their effective displacement included the extra weight of the water their power plant had to push as well.
- Will (Dragonfly)

Bosman

Oct 24, 2010
I spent last weekend 'inverted'.
The inverting is catching on indeed ;-) In some years, one of the common questions when meeting a new boat owner could be "Are you inverted?" :)
Big ships put bulbs below their waterline that stuck out ahead of the bow.
Smaller ones did as well.

Back to the inverted bow, RM Yachts (France) is using this as well.

Nov 8, 2010
Big news out of China, the brand new FarEast 37r. Fast cruiser, in the Pogo mold. The 28r I race on is amazingly well built, and is very attractively priced. Infused GRP build with a carbon rig. Can't wait to see where this ends up.

FE37r.jpg

Bosman

Oct 24, 2010
Nice looking boat indeed. Asian naval architects are quickly catching up and it seems they are doing a good job.

Nov 8, 2010
Nice looking boat indeed. Asian naval architects are quickly catching up and it seems they are doing a good job.
Nope. Wisely, all FarEast boats are designed by the very well regarded Dutch NA team at Simonis & Voogd Yacht Design.

Nov 8, 2010
I stand corrected. Still nice boat :)
Indeed. The management of FarEast is very smart. They have combined what they know (low cost manufacturing) with solid western yacht design. The result is a well excited line of boats that sail very well. It generally ends up being a better approach than using an in-house designer of little renown. This is particularly true for a new brand.

Jul 20, 2005
Whitby 55 Kemah, Tx
A few years ago I rode a high speed power cat ferry from Providencia to San Andres in the Caribbean. That ferry (about 50-60 feet) would go 20 knots in the anchorage and not make a wake that you could see. The wake was there, just under water as eventually it would catch up to your boat on anchor and the rolling would start.

The hulls were very narrow at the bow and the diesel motors deep. It was a really cool ferry. The captain had a spaceship type seat with all the controls and he strapped himself in and steered with a joystick. Even though he was good at avoiding the waves, every now and then one would catch the bridge deck and make a loud smack and crackling sound. I was constantly looking around for cracks in the floor :) The Colombians just ignored it but many were puking.

Anyway, I've always wondered about those narrow hulls every since. No wake waves would mean no hull speed if I understand hull speed limitations correctly. Maybe this inverted bow design is to get reduce the bow wake making it easier to break hull speed.

Nov 8, 2010
Anyway, I've always wondered about those narrow hulls every since. No wake waves would mean no hull speed if I understand hull speed limitations correctly. Maybe this inverted bow design is to get reduce the bow wake making it easier to break hull speed.
The so-called 'displacement cats' with their very narrow hulls have very little form drag, and don't play by the hull speed rules.