Monohulls with inverted bows

Bosman

Oct 24, 2010
Solina 27 Wabamun, Alberta
Seems the trend is catching on. Perhaps this may be old news, but the Spanish Sarch S7 is joining the inverted bow club (TES 246 Versus, FarEast 28). Looks very neat and may cause increased blood flow to those, who prefer conservative "traditional looks" of boats. Will this boat join the "cool boats sell faster" category? Available finance from very affordable €325/month.
Technical data: http://www.sarch.es/assets/ficha-tecnica-en.pdf

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Very clever and fast, in a popular length in Europe. Lots of boat-building skills/tradition in Spain. If it really weights only 1900lbs it will be a rocket. A carbon build could really jack up the price.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Looks like a much less bulky stack pack system than I've seen around here.

Nov 13, 2013
Catalina 34 Tacoma
Looks like you would get soaked in 4' wind chop. More freeboard and a dodger please.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
I really like the lines of these boats. I worked on the Navy's Zumwalt class and the wave piercing hull is pretty radical for a destroyer.

Jan 4, 2010
Farr 30 San Francisco
Cool boat wonder how well the wing mast works? The bow? Is it faster than a plumb bow? It I suppose gives you waterline length for really low weight. How is an anchor going to work with that?

Bosman

Oct 24, 2010
I worked on the Navy's Zumwalt class and the wave piercing hull is pretty radical for a destroyer.
Funny you mentioned that. The first prototype of the 246 Versus is called the same ;-)

Nov 8, 2010
I really like the lines of these boats. I worked on the Navy's Zumwalt class and the wave piercing hull is pretty radical for a destroyer.
Hopefully it will not suffer the same white-elephant style cost overruns and volumes the DDG did.

Bosman

Oct 24, 2010
Can not speak for the Sarch, but Versus' sail away price is said to be in the neighbourhood of $65-69K Canadian. I am trying to find out if the boat will at Toronto Boat Show in January.

Nov 8, 2010
Can not speak for the Sarch, but Versus' sail away price is said to be in the neighbourhood of $65-69K Canadian. I am trying to find out if the boat will at Toronto Boat Show in January.
That price would be great for an epoxy build 7m planing cruiser. Getting one in NA would be even more amazing.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
As a day sailor or inland waters race boat, these boats are probably a great deal of fun, and certainly low maintenance. But to take a week's cruise on a couple of times a year? No way. Not my idea of a nice comfortable easy sailing boat or place to live. And none of them has the grace and beauty of form that a clipper bow, wine glass stern, raked sparred vessel has.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
And none of them has the grace and beauty of form that a clipper bow, wine glass stern, raked sparred vessel has.
I actually get a sense of old fashion nostalgia when I look at the inverted bow. It makes me think of those old 1920s, 30s art deco renderings of locomotives, steamship, and airplanes where power and progress were expressed by dramatic perspectives designed to make them look big and powerful. The artist wanted you to get a sense of looking up at them by leaning the bow lines back so the top looked farther away.
There cabin layout does look a bit Spartan.
As a woodworker who makes his living decorating and accenting doors, hatches, wall hangings, etc. For people, I also find the space uninviting but fascinating at the same time. I'm torn.
- Will (Dragonfly)

Bosman

Oct 24, 2010
Capta - these boats are build to satisfy completely different market segment. I do not believe any of the mainstream builders are selling boats that fit your criteria. Custom builders - sure, for a demanding client with thick wallet.
Will - Sarch being a racer is indeed spartan to keep the weight down (1900lbs). On the other hand, the 246 Versus is a different story, being not a racer but a fast cruiser. In my eyes the interior is very inviting. Do keep in mind that the definition of "inviting" varies depending on which side of the Atlantic Ocean one resides

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Capta - these boats are build to satisfy completely different market segment. I do not believe any of the mainstream builders are selling boats that fit your criteria. Custom builders - sure, for a demanding client with thick wallet.
I think I said that if I wanted a fun harbor racer/daysailer, then these boats would certainly fit the bill.

Feb 2, 2010
Island Packet 37 Hull #2 Harpswell Me
Not really, in fact around WW1, it was not uncommon. Nothing really new here, if you want a wet boat this is the way to go.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Here is an image of a Wickes Class Destroyer DD79 that was later redesigned into ADP4 USS Little. Pretty straight bow. These ships were wet in a seaway. Not possible to be on on the deck.
ban_apd004little.jpg