Monday's Sail Across the San Pedro Channel

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
It's still on my mind. The entire weekend at Isthmus Cove was cool, even "cold" at times, overcast most of each day w/ S to SE wind in the mornings. The "Isthmus Fan" kicked in at late morning to early afternoon, making it rather windy until evening, post sunset. I was told by friends on the west side of the Cove that it was rolly, but along row M (mooring) the boat was facing the mini-swells, so I did not experience much rolling.

The weather zones along the coast from Pt. Piedras Blancas to the East Santa Barbara Channel, and to the outer waters as far south as San Clemente Island forecast SCA starting at 1400. Actually, Sector Los Angeles was broadcasting a marine information statement regrading it all morning. Whereas Santa Barbara Island was included in the SCA forecast, the remaining inner waters which included the San Pedro Channel were not. This was odd. Usually the forecast at SBI is like that of the inner waters b/c it lies barely within that zone. Thus, I concluded that the 10-15 kt forecast for the San Pedro Channel would likely reach advisory levels that day an hour or more before I cleared Queen's Gate at Long Beach.

Having to single-hand the Bavaria 38E home, I did not want any issues so I hoisted the OB and dink aboard and secured. I don't like towing anyway. But the new OA AL-hull dink is 120# so I have to use a 4x block and fall to hoist it to the foredeck where it is nicely secured. I hoisted the mainsail only to the first (higher) reef point b/c I did not want to do that (reef) out there either, and I was not in a rush to get home.

Yeah, as expected, I started seeing 17-18 kt by mid-channel. (I'm reaching lower than a beam reach.) At 5 n.mi. distant from the Gate, 19-21 kt. Within 3 n.mi. of the Gate the "Hurricane Gulch" effect pushed it to 22-24 kt. As I blew into Long Beach Harbor, at one point touching briefly 9 kt SOG on a swell, I'm seeing 23-25 kt by the anemometer nearly all the way to Island White where I rounded up in its lee to drop the mainsail. I then motored the rest of the way to ABM where it was VERY sloppy at the channel entrance.

Why is this still on my mind? Nearly 4 years recently of crossing the East Santa Barbara Channel (ESB) from Santa Cruz Island to Ventura Harbor forces a comparison. The points of sail are practically the same. The wind speeds certainly overlap in the SCA range. It's the same boat, the same me, etc. The sail across the SP Channel was for me the more difficult one to single-hand. Consequently, somewhat less enjoyable for me on Monday than comparable sails I've made across the ESB. Much of the "bad" reputation of the northern Channel Islands as a sailing venue has been over dramatized. It's certainly more scenic up there. And I never had to dodge three BRUISERS there coming into harbor as I had to here on Monday:yikes:. So, don't let all the nay-saying keep you home. Go there up there if you can!

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
Thanks for a fun read (as I sip wine and eat cheese and crackers on morning 72 at Avalon).

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
I can't wait to get up to the channel islands on my boat. 'Course from Dana it's kinda a long haul.

I crewed a delivery earlier this year from SF down to Dana - from Morro Bay all the way to Dana Point it was absolutely zero wind, glassy sea, and thick fog. Motored the whole way. So much for the exciting trip around Pt Conception. Passed within 1 mile of Anacapa, couldn't see a thing. Good thing the boat had radar. Heck, I had a night watch where the fog was so thick I could barely make out the bow lights from the cockpit. Dodged a couple of somethings on the radar, all was well.

Rick

Oct 5, 2004
Hunter 420 Passage San Diego
Thanks for the great story KG! Tis already getting me in a great mood. And sipping wine on 72 in Avalon. Awesome. We have had great sails and weather down in San Diego for the most part with some morning June gloom. I would still take a cold Ithsmus Breeze over my.. er... lets see 107 here in Phoenix. We have been continuing to upgrade Smithzonian and once we get the water maker in, we are really close. Have two trips planned this summer. Aug and Sep. Along with all the great places, we have grown really fond of Descanzo when its not too rolly. The water is warm and as KG said, with our AB 10AL, we plane easily and can take some rougher seas so running around the corner to Vons is easy.

Thanks for the story. My blood pressure is at rock bottom right now...
Cheers

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Over thirty years ago, my wife started hearing the tales of Channel Islands (non-Catalina). To her credit, she was horribly struck by motion sickness on the boat and elsewhere, but she hung in there and she learned to cope with it. So now, we do over-nighters and long-ish runs but I will never get her out to the CI's. Glad you are out there and enjoying it. BTW, the fastest sail I ever had was a reach from Cherry to Angel's Gate.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Over thirty years ago, my wife started hearing the tales of Channel Islands (non-Catalina). To her credit, she was horribly struck by motion sickness on the boat and elsewhere, but she hung in there and she learned to cope with it. So now, we do over-nighters and long-ish runs but I will never get her out to the CI's. Glad you are out there and enjoying it. BTW, the fastest sail I ever had was a reach from Cherry to Angel's Gate.
Well I do have to admit that the exposed "harbors" and the lack of moorings makes anchoring out there much more challenging than in the comparatively protected harbors of Catalina Island. I was mostly alluding to the sailing itself on the ESB waters in the above report.

Last edited: