MOB yesterday - analysis

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Looks like a quiet day on the Juan D' Fuca or Haro Straits.
Probably. But that's hardly the point. Its a lake, normally flat water. Its the powerboat chop that creates the problems. When they meet that can throw people off boats.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I know... we had power boats in Norfolk VA and Glorietta Bay that played havoc with our fleet of Lido 14's and Capri 22's. Why they parade near sailboat races is unexplainable.

It is a good lesson for all boat owners to be aware of the potential danger.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
We too have smooth days, but usually there is not wind.
IMG_1011.JPG

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
I thought we all decided to go out and procure a couple of those for our boat the last discussion. Was I the only one to act upon the mandate?
What’s this forum coming to?
Nope I bought two. One for me one for the Admiral
Les

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
we consistently saw 15-20 on the main lake. The 83F day brought out ALL the big powerboats, so there was huge chop on the lake.
I'll assume this was the conditions for most of the day, or at least, just prior to the start of the race, so it shouldn't have taken him by surprise. He got too focused on his specific task and the approaching finish of the race. This is something I suffer from, as well. I'm not a good multi-tasker. A call from the cockpit might not have made any difference. As captain, his focus needs to be on the whole boat, not just the current maneuver. He got very lucky and learned a lesson, I'll bet.
It doesn't sound like a knife would have helped, but one should have been handy in case the recovery hadn't been so quick. It was probably in a sheath in his life vest.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
The definition of "choppy" in Jack's area seems to be very different from the definition of choppy in the area where I learned to sail.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Surprise no one asked about one of these:

View attachment 154639
I missed the mandate, where do I get these? I have something similar, but black, for my self but a couple of extra for crew would be a good idea. Plus the color looks way better to find and see.

Nov 8, 2010
The definition of "choppy" in Jack's area seems to be very different from the definition of choppy in the area where I learned to sail.
It’s not a manhood measuring contest. Any sufficient chop you didn’t expect can throw you off the boat. Inland lake or open water. In many of the cases the chop was over 4 feet of steep almost vertical waves, that a big deal in a 25 foot boat anywhere.

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
I missed the mandate, where do I get these?
I got mine from knifecenter.com. It's a Spyderco C106SYL Tasman Salt Folding Knife 2-15/16" H1 Serrated Hawkbill Blade, Yellow FRN Handles. Pricey, but good to have.

mm2347

Oct 21, 2008
oday 222 niagara
If you can't reach it-- it is of no use. Just to have a knife onboard doesn't cut it.

Nov 8, 2010
If you can't reach it-- it is of no use. Just to have a knife onboard doesn't cut it.
Exactly. If it's not on you, you can't reach it (quickly), you can't open it with one hand, you don't have it.

FDL S2

Jun 29, 2014
S2 7.3 Fond du Lac
It’s not a manhood measuring contest. Any sufficient chop you didn’t expect can throw you off the boat. Inland lake or open water. In many of the cases the chop was over 4 feet of steep almost vertical waves, that a big deal in a 25 foot boat anywhere.
Plus large powerboat generated chop tends to come from every direction. When two or more big wakes from different directions converge on you at the same time it can get fun.

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
I got mine from knifecenter.com. It's a Spyderco C106SYL Tasman Salt Folding Knife 2-15/16" H1 Serrated Hawkbill Blade, Yellow FRN Handles. Pricey, but good to have.
I got my first Spyderco knife back in the mid 1980's from a place called Stoddard's in Boston. Quality was excellent.

May 23, 2016
O'Day 1984 23 Island Park, NY
Yes, proper rigging knife was one of my first investments before taking possession of the boat... and a second one for the second mate... a few years ago here in GSB (barely enough water to stand in) we lost someone in a Flying Scot race who went MOB, tangled in his own sheets, and drowned before anyone could get to his aid.

jwing

Jun 5, 2014
ODay Mariner Guntersville
Here is a bit of kibitzing meant to help, not criticize:

For those of you who own folding safety knives, please practice retrieving and deploying them - often. When you think that you are really good at it, try doing it with somebody shaking you. Or tie yourself to your boat and try to retrieve, deploy, and cut yourself free while the boat is dragging you.

For those sailors who do not have a rescue knife:
Never be on the water without a strong sharp knife. You need to be able to access it with one hand, it should be secured to the outside of your PFD. Don’t bother with a folding knife in a pocket, if you NEED to cut a rope in a rescue situation you cannot afford to be riffling through your gear trying to find your pocket knife. I recommend a fixed blade knife like the Gerber River Shorty:

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
if you NEED to cut a rope in a rescue situation you cannot afford to be riffling through your gear trying to find your pocket knife. I recommend a fixed blade knife
My thoughts exactly. You have to have it with you when you need it. If you are in danger of drowning because you are tangled in a line, you have about 2 minutes max (some people, it's less than one) to get the knife out and cut the right part of the line. I've seen guys panic when upside down in a kayak when a calm head would have given them lots of time to setup for a roll, but they rip their skirts off instead. I've failed rolls and had time for two more tries because I refused to panic when I felt it coming on. I actually start moving slower, more carefully, but not everyone can do that while underwater.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Nov 8, 2010
Here is a bit of kibitzing meant to help, not criticize:

For those of you who own folding safety knives, please practice retrieving and deploying them - often. When you think that you are really good at it, try doing it with somebody shaking you. Or tie yourself to your boat and try to retrieve, deploy, and cut yourself free while the boat is dragging you.

For those sailors who do not have a rescue knife:
Never be on the water without a strong sharp knife. You need to be able to access it with one hand, it should be secured to the outside of your PFD. Don’t bother with a folding knife in a pocket, if you NEED to cut a rope in a rescue situation you cannot afford to be riffling through your gear trying to find your pocket knife. I recommend a fixed blade knife like the Gerber River Shorty:
I agree with much of this. Sailors are split between the style of knife (folding or sheathed), and the difference often depends on what type of PFD you wear. If you wear an foam vest (dinghy, foredeckers, kayakers), the straight knife is fine because you will always know were it is. You cannot strap a knife to an inflatable vest; you'll never know were it is after the vest pops.

90% of the sailors I know use folders. The Spyderco you can easily and quickly open with one hand; it's designed for that. It has a dedicated knife pocket on my SLAM sailing shorts, and I practice pulling and opening it in one smooth motion all the time. All the good folders will have a secure clip the can be reversed so it can be carried on the other side. I agree, NEVER in your pocket.

Reaching it backhand is harder for sure. But the smaller, lighter size, coupled with the fact that I know it is not a knife until I make it a knife makes it my choice.

One other point. The blades on dedicated sailing emergency knifes were designed specifically to cut through thick hi-tech sailing halyards and sheets. I'd try any other knife designed for another purpose before relying on it while sailing.