MKII vs. MKIII

Sep 25, 2008
Catalina 30 MKIII Varuna Boat Club
Does anyone know the actual differences between a Cat30 MKII vs. a Cat30 MKIII in 1997?
I've searched everywhere but can't seem to find an actual comparison for 1997 models.

Thank you and Happy Sailing,

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
@rpell1@msn.com
Hi Ralph,
When I bought my 93, I called Catalina and asked them about the differences. I had been told I actually have a MKIII, not a MKII. The Catalina guy told me they would had features/change things as boats were built and when enough are added they would then change the designation. He said to check sailboatdata.com and go with what they list, which is hull #5820+ is MKIII.
Then I found the attached on the Catalina 30 Association web site last fall. It shows an overlap of MKII and MKIII based on whether it was the open transom or just the walkthrough.

Hope this helps.
Ward

Attachments

Sep 25, 2008
@rpell1@msn.com
Hi Ralph,
When I bought my 93, I called Catalina and asked them about the differences. I had been told I actually have a MKIII, not a MKII. The Catalina guy told me they would had features/change things as boats were built and when enough are added they would then change the designation. He said to check sailboatdata.com and go with what they list, which is hull #5820+ is MKIII.
Then I found the attached on the Catalina 30 Association web site last fall. It shows an overlap of MKII and MKIII based on whether it was the open transom or just the walkthrough.

Hope this helps.
Ward
Thanks Ward,
Yes. At least now I have a reference point. Now I just have to determine what, if any, features this boat has other than the walk through.

Happy Sailing,

Ralph

mortyd

Dec 11, 2004
Catalina 30 easy living
it seems the changeover was transitonal since my 5961 has a walk-through stern, but all wood galley, standard ladder, no extra port, and other mixed changes. since my boat is a 91 i'm guessing by 97 the new boats were complete mkiii's.

Sep 25, 2008
it seems the changeover was transitonal since my 5961 has a walk-through stern, but all wood galley, standard ladder, no extra port, and other mixed changes. since my boat is a 91 i'm guessing by 97 the new boats were complete mkiii's.
Hi,
Thanks for the reply. My previous boat was a '91 MKII. I had the walk thru, all wood galley, etc. Now that I have this MKIII, I'm trying to see what the differences are. I guess I should wait until I actually have the boat.........:)

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
The Mk III has the sugar scoop stern with a revised deck layout. Some of the Mk II boats have a walk through transom but it is just a modification to the original Mk II hull and deck. I think that the interior was also updated on the Mk III

Sep 25, 2008
The Mk III has the sugar scoop stern with a revised deck layout. Some of the Mk II boats have a walk through transom but it is just a modification to the original Mk II hull and deck. I think that the interior was also updated on the Mk III
Thanks Hayden. The complete picture is now starting to come together.

HAPPY SAILING

RALPH