Minnesota!

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
In addition, there are few places to go, and the almost island-less round form make for boring sailing after you tire of the long reaches to nowhere.
Aww Jackdaw that's my favorite part long reaches to nowhere sounds like a great day of sailing! But then again that's the cruiser in me talking and I have read the article you posted many times its full of great information.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
there are few places to go, and the almost island-less round form make for boring sailing after you tire of the long reaches to nowhere.
Thanks for the link Jackdaw. Stored for future trailer sailing trips.

Looking at a map, it appears that North Red Lake is much the same. Even more so ? Anyone been there ?

FWIW, many prairie lakes are like that. Lake Winnipeg is huge (9500 square miles), but there are very few nice anchorages until you get up around Hecla Island (about 40 nautical miles from the 2 big marinas with sailboats) For weekends, most people just sail around, or sail the 20 nautical miles across to Victoria Beach, and back.

For my money, no inland lake beats the Lake of the woods, which is on the the Minnesota/Ontario border.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Thanks for the link Jackdaw. Stored for future trailer sailing trips.

Looking at a map, it appears that North Red Lake is much the same. Even more so ? Anyone been there ?

FWIW, many prairie lakes are like that. Lake Winnipeg is huge (9500 square miles), but there are very few nice anchorages until you get up around Hecla Island (about 40 nautical miles from the 2 big marinas with sailboats) For weekends, most people just sail around, or sail the 20 nautical miles across to Victoria Beach, and back.

For my money, no inland lake beats the Lake of the woods, which is on the the Minnesota/Ontario border.
Not Red Lake, but Leech Lake is nice sailing. Plus a very nice sailing Club, Shores of Leech Lake.

http://www.shoresofleechlake.com/

Nov 8, 2010
Aww Jackdaw that's my favorite part long reaches to nowhere sounds like a great day of sailing! But then again that's the cruiser in me talking and I have read the article you posted many times its full of great information.
For sure long reaches are nice. But I can tell you, after a few times it will get boring. With no islands to look at or go to or simply dodge, no hidden bays to explore, no points to hide behind in a blow, it does get boring, no matter what kind of sailor you are.

Think of it this way. Its NOT hidden. Its NOT a secret. Everyone knows its there, but they go to Leach, Lake City, Duluth, or even Bayfield instead, all farther away. There's a reason.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Lake Kabetogama always looked to me like a very interesting large lake to explore. There appear to be hundreds of islands to get lost in.

May 21, 2017
Allmand 31 31 Lake Superior
I agree very much with Jackdaw, Leech (I used to live there), Bayfield (had my boat moored there), Pepin (sailed many times) these are the best lakes for sailing in our area. I have fished Lake of Woods and would love to sail there sometime, it is so huge. I did go boat camping with the kids years ago on Kaby, and it is an awesome lake as well.

Aug 29, 2016
Catalina 22 Lake Conroe
I'm intimidated by lake Minnetonka. Are there older boats that sail there or is it strictly for the elite? Considering Medicine for a first sail. Is that a bad idea?

Nov 8, 2010
I'm intimidated by lake Minnetonka. Are there older boats that sail there or is it strictly for the elite? Considering Medicine for a first sail. Is that a bad idea?
You'll be perfectly fine. There all all types, in age, size and condition. If you use the ramp next to WYC there will always be people there to help, or to offer tools and/or tape cotters etc.

Nov 8, 2010
And where do you park if you're not a member? On 16?
You can park a truck with a trailer on Eastman road across from the clubhouse. In fact, you can ONLY park there if you have a trailer attached!!

Aug 29, 2016
Catalina 22 Lake Conroe
I went down and checked it out today. Looks like a great spot to launch. Then I went to work on my motor and found the wires to the CDI are corroded and rotten so I need to find a new motor.

Aug 29, 2016
Catalina 22 Lake Conroe
We went out last Sunday and that is a busy launch. All the powerboaters were very impatient waiting for us to extend our tongue, launch, and pull out. I think we will try for earlier in the morning next time while they are still hung over from the night before...

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
Considering Medicine for a first sail. Is that a bad idea?
@Jackdaw is correct in that Minnetonka is a Great Lake but while I enjoyed it during the week. The weekends are a bit busy for me. When I was closer to the cities I sailed medicine lake many times and it is a fun one as well. The ramp is ok but there is a narrow channel from french park you will want to follow for the first 200 yards before dropping the keel however the ramp is new and with an tension launching should be ok. There are no lakeside amenities but there is a free dock on the medicine lake town side that you can enjoy for lunch or for kids to play at the park. Give it a shot sometime you might just like it as an alternative and it's never all that crowded.

Nov 8, 2010
We went out last Sunday and that is a busy launch. All the powerboaters were very impatient waiting for us to extend our tongue, launch, and pull out. I think we will try for earlier in the morning next time while they are still hung over from the night before...
It can be, and yes everyone will have a reasonable expectation that you will you use time on the ramp to quickly and efficiently launch your boat, and not fumble with rigging. So pick a quiet time, and you can also rig your boat in the side of the road rigth next to the ramp (everyone does this) and then take the next slot when you are ready. Everyone waiting will see you there and expect that.

Aug 29, 2016
Catalina 22 Lake Conroe
We were quick and efficient but it still takes time to extend the trailer tongue. We did our rigging on the side of the road first as you said.

Nov 8, 2010
We were quick and efficient but it still takes time to extend the trailer tongue. We did our rigging on the side of the road first as you said.
Then you are OK. What ever work you have to do on the ramp you do. Every boat is different.

Aug 29, 2016
Catalina 22 Lake Conroe
Yes, but it will be less pressure if we go when it isn't so busy. That way there will be less chance of rushing and missing something.