Minimum Outboard Motor Size

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 16, 2010
Catalina C22 Lake Travis / Port Aransas
Electric Motor

Electric! I have been considering the idea and haven't completely given up on it. I have been looking at a Minn Kota Traxxas 83 lb thrust 24 volt. I've been told that in my lake situation, it would move me around just fine and would give me enough battery time that I shouldn't have any problem. I'm always interested in hearing what others think about that. I've even gotten as far as pricing batteries, power centers, electric motor. I still have a concern about battery time and thrust to cause me to move back to looking at a gas motor. Would enjoy others input.
Don't have experience specific to a C22, but I had an 82 pound 24v trolling motor on a 19 foot bass boat that was quite heavy. On Lake Amistad, about 4 miles into the Mexican Side, my outboard quit working. I ran my trolling motor on full for 2 hours to get back to the launch on the US side and had did not notice a negligible drop in power. It was against a light (5 knottish) wind and I had decent speed. Was very happy to get back across the border!

There where a lot of times where I used it in heavy winds to fish, but not necessarily to make substantial headway. My boat probably did not catch as much wind, but it was also bow mounted which caused problems with the motor lifting out of the water.

I used the largest Deep Cell Batteries Walmart offered and had fortunately just changed them the week before my engine failure!

Status
Not open for further replies.