Minimum Outboard Motor Size

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 1, 2006
Catalina 22 Lake Conroe
Recently my old 5hp Mariner Outboard, that came with my Catalina 22 last year, quit working. I'm not interested in resurrecting it, but want to take the opportunity to buy a new motor. My question is, since I sail in a small lake and only sail in winds of 5 to 15 knots, can I get away with a smaller outboard? If so, what would be the least hp I should go? Would appreciate any input on this.

Ken

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 22 P. P. Y. C.
minimum hp

I know plenty of folks who race and they use the 3.5hp 39lb Tohatsu/Nissan/Mercury. I sail with one regularly and the little motor has no trouble doing what he wants it to do. In fact it surprised me just how fast it moves his boat.

If however you think you might ever go to the coast you would certainly want to bump it to 5 hp and long shaft.

Oct 1, 2006
Catalina 22 Lake Conroe
Re: minimum hp

Ken, thanks for the info. Looks as if the 3.5hp Tohatsu 20" shaft will be my best buy for the dollars. I don't anticipate taking it to the coast, but will definitely keep your advice in mind. At my age the lower weight of the 3.5 will really make a difference as well. I'm looking at www.outboardsonline.com. If you or anyone else know of a dealer where I can get a better price, let me know. Let me know if you think of anything else.

jimg

Jun 5, 2004
catalina 27 dana point

Ditto what Ken said. These are the motors of choice for the local J24 fleet, and they push the boats no problem. They are simple and dependable and a good used one should not be hard to find.

Oct 1, 2006
Catalina 22 Lake Conroe

Thanks jimg. I called a local dealer and can have a new one the same day. I plan on buying new and hope to do so next week. Can't wait to get it on my boat.

Oct 1, 2006
Catalina 22 Lake Conroe

Question re: the Tohatsu 3.5hp. One of the differences between the 3.5 and the 4hp and higher is the control. The 3.5 has forward/neutral only. Apparently, you have to twirl the motor around for reverse. Is that an inconvenience or is it a plus? Those of you with experience using the 3.5, how do you see it?

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
The 3.5 has forward/neutral only. Apparently, you have to twirl the motor around for reverse. Is that an inconvenience or is it a plus? Those of you with experience using the 3.5, how do you see it?
We had a Johnson 1.2 hp with ONLY forward. You had to PLAN very well before you pulled the starter!!! And coasting when returning to the boat. Taught a lot about wind and current.

Don't sweat it, you'll get used to it, after all, it does have a neutral, can't be too bad! :)

That said, does you boat's motor mount allow the clearance for doing the reversal? Check it out carefully.

Oct 1, 2006
Catalina 22 Lake Conroe
Stu, great point about clearance. My motor mount gives me good clearance away from the boat. However, I suppose if I had the rudder turned to the port side and turned the 3.5 in toward the rudder for reverse, I could hit the rudder. Something to think about. Maybe someone has experience with that.

Smiley

Mar 3, 2009
Catalina 22 Benton, AR
My boat has an old - really old - 3 hp Evinrude that has only forward. I'll echo Stu's thoughts. You plan what you're doing before you do it.
I'll shut off the fuel from the tank nearing the berth and run the carburetor dry ... coasting the final few feet.
I'm on an inland lake and so far it's been enough. I think the Catalina manual for my '78 said 3-6 hp with the original mount (mine is).

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Something to think about. Maybe someone has experience with that.
Lots depends on the motor mount you have. Good luck, I think you can do a work-around that issue with your rudder by getting into the proper habits! :redface:

Oct 1, 2006
Catalina 22 Lake Conroe
Electric! I have been considering the idea and haven't completely given up on it. I have been looking at a Minn Kota Traxxas 83 lb thrust 24 volt. I've been told that in my lake situation, it would move me around just fine and would give me enough battery time that I shouldn't have any problem. I'm always interested in hearing what others think about that. I've even gotten as far as pricing batteries, power centers, electric motor. I still have a concern about battery time and thrust to cause me to move back to looking at a gas motor. Would enjoy others input.

Nov 12, 2009
Catalina 22, El Toro Folsom
I purchased a Tohatsu 5hp last year and it has worked very well for me. With just the C22, about 1/4 to 1/3 throttle will get me to 5 knots with no wind or waves. Three HP should do the trick most of the time. However, when towing a dinghy, it go up to 2/3 throttle and if I had to fight a head wind, I could be using all 5. Everyone has their own priorities, but 14lbs and $270. I'd go with the 5.

Oct 1, 2006
Catalina 22 Lake Conroe
rejenk3, thanks for the information. Where do you sail. Unfortunately, $270 additional dollars has to go through the Admiral. That's one of the reasons that the 3.5hp is so appealing at $945 from Online Outboards. I might be able to get a way with an addl. $100 for the 4HP. We'll see. But, with the sailing that I do, I really believe the 3.5 will be fine in our lake. But, you never know when a wind might kick up. One additional note, I've contacted a local dealer that will sell me a new 3.5 for $1000 even. I'm considering taking my 1982 5hp Mariner along with the gas tank/connections to see if he will give me anything for that. If so, that may be my addl. $270.

Oct 1, 2006
Catalina 22 Lake Conroe
Well, I purchased a 2010 5HP Tohatsu Long Shaft from Online Outboards for $1219. It is in route now and will be here on Monday. Looking forward to getting it on my boat and getting it broken in. I feel very good about the decision and appreciate all the great comments. Now, I just have to lift it on to the boat and get in place without dropping it in the water. Happy Sailing this weekend.

Apr 26, 2010
catalina 22 lake tillery NC
jbrosser, I remember this from a while ago, a guy was worried about dropping his O B in the drink while hanging over the back so I suggested to him to turn the boat around in the slip and stand on the dock while he hung the motor. If your boat is forward in the slip as is most of all boats are. then you may want to try that. Alan

Oct 1, 2006
Catalina 22 Lake Conroe
Great advice. I turned it around yesterday in anticipation and will tie a line to it just in case.

Oct 1, 2006
Catalina 22 Lake Conroe
Yes, I really like my new 5hp Tohatsu. I'm still in the breaking in phase and am still only powering it to 1/2 throttle. Pushes me around the lake just fine.

Jul 15, 2010
Catalina 22 Chicago
I have a Tohatsu 4hp and it is surprisingly powerful. I thought it might be slightly underpowered, but it pushes it along just fine. About 1/3 throttle seems like all I'll ever need.

Status
Not open for further replies.