Mills Trophy Race, Lake Erie

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Yep he kind of snuck up on us. The C&C 115 is 7 feet longer than us and took 8 min to catch us which kind of tells you about his abilities. We were in the same start but a different class. If you notice in the video our sails were not luffing but his were during the incident. he had no ability to point up and in acuality he was falling down as his headsail was stalled. The J/92 can point pretty high when you need to. I edged up as he approached and he didn't get the message. No requirement to hail as the windward boat is required to keep clear. The gap closed to 3 feet and I hailed. Response of proper course irritated me a bit since skipper was supposed to have been an experienced race and former commodore of a Detroit area sailing club. I headed down when I realized a collision was imminent to comply with rule 14. We did not follow through with the protest as it was late when we got in and that we had withdrawn. Issue was that splice in multi part backstay had pulled out. I am replacing lines in the purchase, splicing and stitching the splices to prevent this from happening again. We turned down wind, dropped out and spent a half hour jury rigging a fix. Fun race, not as cold as predicted, All upwind work and reaching. We only tacked twice and gybed twice in 54 miles. I've reached out to some people that know the skipper who will explain the rules to him. I'm not sure that will make difference.
Thanks for the detail! He must have been falling down on you since the start. You and most of the fleet were early and were reaching down the line until the gun; I assume he started closer to the boat and slowly fell down on you. Why he could not hold his lane is a question. As is why he thought he had rights!

Too back about the backstay... yes those spectra eyesplices need to be locked or they will work loose when not fully on.

Jan 13, 2009
J Boat 92 78 Sandusky
I edged up and gave him room to tack. His response was to fall down on me as his sail stalled. He had what appeared to be blown out Dacron headsail. Not what you would expect on an expensive boat like a C&C 115