Millennials on a 1938 Philip Rhodes Astro.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Typical sight on these shores. I hear a lot of generational grumbling about Millennials not sailing.

Here's my take: Millennials are halting a decades long decline of sailing. They are taking advantage of a surplus of old neglected sailboats. Around here, some of those are wooden boats and they're picking up the skills to care for them as well.

A 1938 Rhodes 33' Astro this week, sails by as we (under power) hooked our mooring.
1938 Rhodes 33_.jpg

But here's the twist (of the knife in the curmudgeons :) ), Millennials are better sailors than their parents. They harken back to their grandparents generation of simpler boats and more reliance on sailing.

Sure, my take is local where I know many of the kids and their parents. Local sailing clubs host programs for kids to start sailing at an early age (nothing new). I think as parents, we took more advantage of these programs(great experience and cheap daycare). Most every parent I knew enrolled their kids, it was and is, the local thing to do and kids think it is 'cool'.

I saw the Astro dancing around the harbor as we came in. A graceful boat under sail and a delightful sight to see. The kids onboard are unfazed by the $$$$ sailing by. They grew up sailing through these harbors in Opti's, Turn-abouts, 420's, Lasers,...they're still mentally in those tiny boats (and the Rhodes has no power-"who needs that?")
1938 Rhodes 33  2.jpg

An light East wind in Rockport Harbor is a delight. Flat water and easy speed. No sailor can resist dropping everything to watch another sailor sail onto their mooring. The long slender Rhodes is sleek in the water. It seems to sail on nothing. Nimble kids float on narrow decks without heeling the boat to douse the jib.
Coasting in on the main.
1938 Rhodes 33  3.jpg

Are they short,...are they short?
1938 Rhodes 33  4.jpg

Of course not. They've done this a million times in other boats. The Rhodes still has a bit of way on to wind the bow toward their mooring, on starboard. The outflowing tidal current (which they read), will finish the move.

Perfect, brilliant, they hooked the mooring with ease.

Millennials would say, "Killin' it".
1938 Rhodes 33  5.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
The gracefulness of a by-gone era. Good to see the older boats on the water. I don't see many of these boats on the West Coast. I am sure they are here, but have no idea where.

Nice post, TomY!

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Tom,
I have met more millennials with vision and drive and an interest in keeping older skills alive than I ever knew among my own generation.

-Will (Dragonfly)

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
The gracefulness of a by-gone era. Good to see the older boats on the water. I don't see many of these boats on the West Coast. I am sure they are here, but have no idea where.

Nice post, TomY!
Thanks, Brian. I didn't know this design but found it quickly online. A racing class, it was designed for your coast.

The Rhodes 33 was originally designed in 1938 for class racing in Southern California, where there were 20-30 mile races to offshore islands. These events required boats that could accommodate a crew overnight and that were weatherly and reasonably able, for the races were in open waters and often upwind.

https://astro.temple.edu/~bstavis/pr/rhodes33.htm

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
The Rhodes 33 was originally designed in 1938 for class racing in Southern California, where there were 20-30 mile races to offshore islands. These events required boats that could accommodate a crew overnight and that were weatherly and reasonably able, for the races were in open waters and often upwind.
LOL they all must have migrated to the East. Don't blame them. LOL 20-30 miles would make that a Long Beach Ca boat. Still a very nice design. I would think one would see more of these type boats on lakes vs. ocean sailing. Sweet, slick lines.

FDL S2

Jun 29, 2014
S2 7.3 Fond du Lac
Sure, my take is local where I know many of the kids and their parents. Local sailing clubs host programs for kids to start sailing at an early age (nothing new). I think as parents, we took more advantage of these programs(great experience and cheap daycare). Most every parent I knew enrolled their kids, it was and is, the local thing to do and kids think it is 'cool'.
I think learn to sail programs are the key, my local sailing club has 6 youth boats and 6 lasers. Two classes twice a week all full so 48 kids learning to sail every summer and these kids are good sailors. I'm firmly in the middle of Generation X and almost none of the sailors that I know around my age took sailing lessons as kids. They either were taught by parents as kids or by friends as they got older. In my case, as kids, we acquired a small day sailer and my brothers and I learned to sail by trial and error-my parents got the boat to keep us occupied on days it was too windy to waterski :) they never sailed until I bought my first sailboat 12 years ago.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Interesting, I've only noticed one milllenial in command of a sailboat in my 18 years or so of sailing (that was this summer) I guess I should pay more attention.

Ken

FDL S2

Jun 29, 2014
S2 7.3 Fond du Lac
Interesting, I've only noticed one milllenial in command of a sailboat in my 18 years or so of sailing (that was this summer) I guess I should pay more attention.
I can think of two in our harbor, one bought an old boat last year and is learning to sail from you tube videos and by sailing every chance he gets. The other sails her families' boat and crews on race boats on Lake Michigan and knows more about sailing than I ever will.

Ken

ToddS

Sep 11, 2017
Beneteau 373 Cape Cod
If you're interested in millennials sailing... my wife and I (not millennials - Gen-Xers) have fallen in love with the series of videos (on YouTube) called "Abandon Comfort". They're definitely millennials, and very into sailing... they post new videos about once every other week or so, and we've been following them for many many months now.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
They were out again,... Space is opening up out in the harbor. Late October, the foliage is pretty nice.
Astro fall sailing 1.jpg

The dog kills me.
Astro fall sailing 2.jpg

The summer folks have all gone home. They would be glad to know that as their yachts await the yard to tuck them into sheds for the winter, the local kids are using them for gates to run through. Lining up,...
Astro Concordia 1.jpg

and through.
Astro Concordia 2.jpg

No problem. I can't resist watching the grand finale', mooring under sail. First, the jib drops,...
Astro landing.jpg

Helmsman rounds her up into the wind,..."long way up to that pick up buoy,...just sayin' "
Astro rounding up_.jpg

Running out the last ounce of the Astro's way, the kid on the bow has just enough reach,....to nab it. Done.
Astro touch down.jpg

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Tom takes beautiful images. But he has an eye stoping subject.
That is a great looking boat.
Thanks! I have to remind myself that this beautiful sailer, fast - nimble, is an 80 year old design. Compared to the Concordia yawl it's sailing by, the Astro looks contemporary and could nearly be a current design today, for a "daysailer". Yet the Concordia yawl was designed in 1938, along with this 1938 Philip Rhodes Astro.

The Astro's underbody design is ancient history though. Yet, it sure doesn't perform like ancient history.