Midship Dockline Cleat Location ?

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
I'd like to install a midship cleat for easier docking.
Can anyone who has one, give advice as to the "exact-ish" location fore/aft on a C22 ?

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
LR, did that last year, simply measured the length of the boat (at the waterline) and put them in the middle....wouldn't be without them and use 'em all the time for docking and springlines. You can spot one in post #117 of my thread, pretty much between the two windows, slightly forward of that, came out centered on the aft frame edge of the forward window IIRC. Quick, eze, cheap mod.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Have you re-bedded your stanchion bases yet? Based on what a PITA that was, I'm guessing the cleat job is not going to be fun. Some good pics in this recent thread:

https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/stanchion-throughbolts-leaking-any-ideas.192309/

Just ignore me if you've already done the stanchion base job. It may have been a cakewalk for a man of your talents. For me, it involved some pretty blasphemous profanity.

Side note ... I've always wanted to install cleats on my genny tracks, such as these, but I can't seem to make myself spend the money:

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
You can spot one in post #117 of my thread, pretty much between the two windows, slightly forward of that, came out centered on the aft frame edge of the forward window IIRC. Quick, eze, cheap mod.
Thanks ! That helps a lot.

Yeah. for the life of me I don't understand why all boats don't automatically have them.
You pull heavy 45 footer into a dock, with no drama, with them.

Yesterday we had some good wind blowing sideways off our finger dock, and while doable, it's SO much simpler to have a cleat at the center of force. We've been using a stanchion if needed but i'm not a fan of that at all.

(Got our 1st sail of the year yesterday. Spent 5 hours out on the water. Hit 5.8 knots fairly consistently for a while. Had some hassles with a jamming furler, and a jamming keel winch, but it was an awesome day)

Just ignore me if you've already done the stanchion base job. It may have been a cakewalk for a man of your talents. For me, it involved some pretty blasphemous profanity.
Unfortunately/Fortunately ? I haven't had time to tackle that yet. The cockpit drains and the stanchions are the last 2 projects on my "deck penetration sealing" list.

I'm hoping I can avoid cutting the liner by using some type of homemade tool, but I'm not counting on it.
I'm ready for a PITA job. hehe

Those Genoa track cleats look great. I've never seen one before. Maybe my friends are all too cheap to buy them. LOL

I hope to drive up to the lake this week and see where the cleat could go. Keeping it out from underfoot, while allowing access to the nuts.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
LR....regarding the cleat placement, the thought provoking issue for me was where to locate/drill outboard v. inboard with room below to accept some large ss fender washers....I'll measure that tomorrow and take a pic, may help some...turned out to be fine and only about an hour job, used butyl tape, and Mainsail's countersink method, no sweat....

Ron

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
yes, Don, some G10 plate is preferred of course, for my purposes the fender washers have worked out just fine on a C22, jmho...
I'm skeptical anytime someone says that because I have seen a few large boats damaged because a smaller boat broke loose from a dock because of a weak cleat attachment which pulled out of its deck.

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
That puppy is now on my CD wish list. Want it want it want it. Maybe Santa will bring me a pair. :)
For your C-22, you probably don't want the version linked. Unless you replaced the stock tracks (7/8" or 15/16", IIRC) with _hugely_ oversized 1-1/4". If you have 1", you want this one: https://www.catalinadirect.com/inde...ip-mooring-cleatbrstainless-steel-1-track.cfm. They're even a few $$ cheaper.

I speak from experience, having gotten (I thought) a great eBay deal on a pair. Back before I knew tracks came in multiple sizes. The 1-1/4" are still sitting around waiting for me to buy a big boat (or until I get around to trying to sell them).

Sep 30, 2013
Ah yes, thank you. I never measured mine until a minute ago. It's getting dark out, but they look like 1".

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
If you establish a "home" on the track for the cleat, reinforce the track backing washers(or whatever), or get a like track and use it as backing plates. I was in the BVIs and in a chandlery found 1/4 (by 1.25?) washers for use in the open ends of bimini or pulpit tube. I bought two, and they are unused 4 years later.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Is there a rule of thumb on how strong a cleat and mounting should be based on vessel weight or size ?
Obviously ABYC must have some type of recommendation.
After decades, the original ones on this C22 seem to be in fine shape even how they are mounted.

That track mounted cleat would make it super simple to get the exact position needed.

hmm.. For that matter I can use the car on the track as a temporary "cleat" to determine the perfect location... permanent or track mounted. :)

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Good luck trying to locate a track cleat for 15/16 track on old design genoa tracks. Hard to find a genoa block car for them.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
IMG_0382.jpg IMG_0384.jpg IMG_0385.jpg
LR...here you go, pics of cleat location, centered on the boats waterline (84 model)...room enough below for fairly large, thick fender washers, should help you some.

Ron

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2013
You're more agile than I. I wasn't going to say anything, cuz I didn't want to jinx you. But my side decks are wider than yours and I would definitely break some toes on that thing. That's the main reason I wanted track-mounted cleats.

Size 11 4E here. Bigfoots unite!! :beer: