Registered users don't see ads

Mid Winter Cruise

Discussion in 'Pacific North West Cruisers' started by Terry Cox, Feb 12, 2017. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. Terry Cox

Terry Cox

Joined Dec 25, 2000
    2,473 posts, 110 likes
    Hunter Passage 42
    US Shelter Bay, WA
    Okay weather gods, time for a break. Week of February 19th is sailing time, so heading out as soon as you get your fair weather things in order. Maybe Friday Harbor/Roche Harbor. First day or so likely Eagle Harbor/Pelican Beach. I'll see if John Lund is up to an excursion. Likely solo.

Maybe Hadley can join us, eh? Should be quiet on the water; few venture out but the most hardy this time of the year. I'll extend the invitation to other flotilla members. Must break those slip bonds to shake out the cobwebs.

2. Ralph Johnstone

Ralph Johnstone

Joined Jan 4, 2006
    2,169 posts, 134 likes
    Hunter H-310
    CA West Vancouver, B.C.
    With the weather we've been having around here ? ? ? ?
    Does Baileys come in the gallon size ? I'd suggest several.

Bailey's.jpg

3. Terry Cox

Terry Cox

Joined Dec 25, 2000
    2,473 posts, 110 likes
    Hunter Passage 42
    US Shelter Bay, WA
    Have you had a Rusty Nail lately? Yum!

4. Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson

Joined Feb 26, 2004
    18,973 posts, 241 likes
    Catalina 34
    US C34 San Francisco
    Or dark rum in hot coffee. I hear ya about the weather, still a "tad" of that pesky white stuff in my driveway and on deck on the boat.

5. Terry Cox

Terry Cox

Joined Dec 25, 2000
    2,473 posts, 110 likes
    Hunter Passage 42
    US Shelter Bay, WA
    All of our white stuff is gone, finally. Hung around forever. Nice today; high of 50 and mostly sunny. Prospects looking up for our mid winter cruise lest the weather gods decide to intervene and dash our hopes.

Many years ago on one of our anniversary outings we chose a dessert that was quite delicious. Do not remember the name, but it came in a large tumbler filled with half dark rum and half hot black coffee. The tumbler rim had candied sugar and the drink was topped with whipping cream.

Are you miss'n the SF weather yet? Must visit Maple Bay this season. Been by it on our way north through Samson Narrows, but...

Latest addition to Belle-Vie, a gift from one of my boating buddies. Must give it a try next week. Supposed to be very bright and emit a generous amount of heat. Aladdin Mantle Lamp. It is even on a gimbal.

Aladdin Mantle Lamp.jpg

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  6. Terry Cox

Terry Cox

Joined Dec 25, 2000
    2,473 posts, 110 likes
    Hunter Passage 42
    US Shelter Bay, WA
    Hi Stu, the admiral and I have been stewing over the recipe these past few hours trying to remember the name of the after dinner drink that so impressed us many years ago. For some reason my first thought was rum, but as we kicked it around more likely Kahlua and other stuff. This recipe is about as close as we can get to what it was; Flaming Irish Coffee:

http://www.food.com/recipe/flaming-irish-coffee-309966

7. jssailem

jssailem

Joined Oct 22, 2014
    1,343 posts, 204 likes
    CAL 35 Cruiser
    US Salem, Moored Port Everett WA
    I'm interested, but I have just spent the past 3 days working on the electrical system. Unlikely iI can get back up for the fun on the 19th. Weather info for the NW. (From a Rufus report. He is a Farmer weather resource for the PacNW.) Looks like the last weekend for Feb will be cold but drier.

Monday February 13
    The great break from the rainy cycle will hold another 24-36 hrs, then -- well, fill up your morning bev and let's peek ahead, shall we?
    East winds out of the Columbia River Gorge will build early this week as yet another round of heavy precip moves in from the west. High pressure over the Columbia Basin drives that strong Gorge wind towards the low pressure to the west. The High to Low wind generator. Patrons east of Portland will get the brunt of the wind. Colder air east side may cause short-shot of freezing rain as the next wet front moves inland late Tue. Moderate-to-heavy RAIN Wed & Thu, along with blustery SW winds - esp late Wed for western OR, early Thu for the Puget Sound - as a 998 mb low tracks inside the 130 W longitude line. CA will also get in on the rainfall, which will not help the Oroville Dam situation. By Fri, it will quiet down over the PNW, with cooler air aloft moving in triggering scattered showers. The snow level will drop back down below 2,000 ft by early Sat morning.
    As the weekend of Feb 18,19 gets under way, rain will continue to plague the Golden State, with news-making impact in southern CA. The PNW will dry down a tad with a chance for chilly showers into Sat, but rain will return by late Sunday with moderate-to-heavy amounts in the gauge on through Mon or Tue, Feb 20, 21. For CA, the amount of rainfall over northern CA - and yes, Oroville Dam watershed - will cause renewed & warranted concern for the structure of the Dam. This is a very serious situation. We can expect rain/showers on through Thu Feb 23.
    Indications are for a colder & mostly dry period to return to the PNW starting the last weekend in February. Model solutions vary a little, with the overall pattern influenced by N-to-NE flow aloft. Yep, continental air that will have a winter feel. We are not seeing an Arctic outbreak in the Feb 24-27 period, just notably colder & frosty as compared to the previous week. It must be said that California will continue to get slammed by rain/wind. The models drive the heaviest rain into southern Cal during the weekend of Feb 25,26 - so watersheds in that portion of the state will have a water rush, not a gold rush.
    Ponder Point: the long-range outlook continues to get 'teased' by some solutions bringing another COLD SNAP from the north interior into our region Feb 28-Mar 2. SNOW could be in play, yet again, west of the Cascades. No need for alarm, just a ponder point for now that merits consideration - it has peeked into the prog charts enough to give pause. Will March start out with a tapestry of snow?
    "A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both." -Dwight D. Eisenhower 1953
    -Rufus
    Copyright © 2017 - All Rights Reserved - The Weather Café ®​

8. Mark Maulden

Mark Maulden

Joined Jan 25, 2011
    1,190 posts, 44 likes
    S2 11.0A
    US Anacortes, WA
    Dont drink coffee but hot chocolate and Di Saronno (amaretto) hits the spot!

9. Terry Cox

Terry Cox

Joined Dec 25, 2000
    2,473 posts, 110 likes
    Hunter Passage 42
    US Shelter Bay, WA
    Two days and counting.:thumbup:

10. Terry Cox

Terry Cox

Joined Dec 25, 2000
    2,473 posts, 110 likes
    Hunter Passage 42
    US Shelter Bay, WA
    Just looked at the weather forecast for the next several days and I must say it appears pretty reasonable. A small amount of rain, but some sun breaks on the horizon. One day and counting. :thumbup:

11. Mark Maulden

Mark Maulden

Joined Jan 25, 2011
    1,190 posts, 44 likes
    S2 11.0A
    US Anacortes, WA
    Wondering if Terry left today....slog..slog..

Noflex Sewage Treatment
Treat sludge and odor problems in holding tanks.
Gray ports and parts
The most popular port on boats built from the 70s into the 90s.
Grab rail covers
Covers for sails, grab rails, pedestals, windlass, more. Brand new, no flaws!
Winch covers
Any brand, every size, any color!