Mid Winter Blues

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Finally some good news. Need to replace my 50 feet of anchor chain. Getting a bit crusty on the rope end. Dunlap Industrial and Everett Steel only able to get off shore brand. WM is $6/foot for domestic brand. Washington Chain out of Seattle has ACCO brand domestic 5/16th inch, hot dipped galvanized, G4 for $3.75/foot. Woohoo!

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Naw, it's called snail mail around these precincts. I'm sure Les mailed you one. It will show up, soooooon. Very sooooon.
I think @jssailem was in charge of invites.

@Terry Cox its only 10lbs worth. Is fun to put 6 boneless pork buts on the smoker. 70+ pounds of pig candy. The cow candy is good too.

I didn’t get this skinny by eating grass

Les

Dec 25, 2000
When I worked in Texas (1987-97), every Thursday our group would have a beef BBQ rib lunch at Dickies. They knew how to make them. Oh how I miss those ribs. Hard to find good ones around these parts.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
There was a place across from the Outback Steakhouse in Renton was near Boeing that I used to go to around '98-'01 years that reportedly had the best ribs in WA. Can't remember the name. Tony Roma?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Terry.. I got chain. One 130 foot and one 80 foot length.
As it is said...
I am sure we can find a number mush less than this deal..:biggrin:

Oct 22, 2014
@DayDreamer41 The invoice was in the mail :yikes:- I mean invite, those darn spell checkers...
.. It has not been returned so I assumed that you might still come. Check with your postman or woman.
Just an aside.. The printing, images and calligraphy on the invite is nothing short of amazing. If you can not make it at the least you are getting a work of fart.:yikes::p.. Art...:eek:

Let me share, having tasted Les's smoked pastrami it is heaven. So let us know your flight arrival and we will hope you make it to the dock before we cast off for the 3 hour, :banghead: opps 4 day winter adventure.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
That is just classic @jssailem the art work must be absolutely amazing and I am sure it will have me agassed.....:D

Delta airlines just contacted me and they are afraid that the flight delays will cause me to arrive too late to make the docks, so have a great voyage, hope to catch you again next St Patrick's day.

Oct 22, 2014
@DayDreamer41 When the green beer flows, I will think of you and look forward to the opportunity to meet and share a pint. I do not partake of green beer though, I choose Guinness.

If God intended men to drink green beer he would not have colored our pee yellow.

May your days warm up so you can shed your winter blues. Will send pictures of our sail.

Oct 22, 2014
Believe it is 3/8 and galvanized. You are welcome to take a look.

Dec 25, 2000
Mmmmmm cow
Gosh, reminds me of my grandmother's small dairy farm where I grew up. Remarkable stern German woman. She had five milkers; one Jersey, and three/four guernseys. We were expected to help her run the farm. That meant hay time; mowing, shocking, baling, etc. She had an old Surge vacuum milker (I can still hear it working) that was heavy when full of milk. My job was to install kickers, load/unload the milker and strip when it was finished. It usually took about ten to fifteen minutes to empty the udder.

While waiting I sat on a small wooden crate (also used as a stool for stripping) behind the cows. In the spring time the cows would load up on wet green field grass, which gave them diarrhea. I would dose off while waiting, then a cow would cough and I would get splattered with either urine or manure or both. Lovely job, but now among my fondest memories.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
Not that I can find.
Loved the story. I got to milk cows on a farm in England back in 64. It was a real experience. Old school.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Les, do you share the cow recipe?
Actually very easy. Take a packaged corned beef soak in cold water 4 hours changing water every hour. Remove and dry, coat with pepper. Smoke 190 for 3hrs then 210 till 170-175 internal temp. Remove and foil 2 hrs. Enjoy

Corned Beef + smoke = pastrami.