Mid Winter Blues

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Wouldn't you know that unseasonable cold weather would appear when I had the week off to go sailing. Grrr! Made plans to sail over to Friday Harbor for a few days. I'm okay with some rain, even some snow, but when the temperatures dip below 20, well as I told the admiral, my heart was in it, but the old body overruled.

So here I am back at home stewing again over letting the weather decide if or when I might venture out. Woulda, shoulda, coulda as the old saying goes. Of course it is just Monday. Perhaps later in the week temperatures might moderate some and the old body will give in to the heart.

I've never tested Belle-Vie as an ice breaker. That would have been a new experience. Not that it was that thick, maybe a quarter of an inch. I'm sure she would have been up to the task.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Mid week is sposed to warm up a bit. You must have some fresh water flowing into the marina?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
My guess the water is a variable brine mix with fresh near the surface. Calm conditions have allowed the water to stratify. Multiple hours of below 30 temps Magic. Ice on water.

Worse outcome gel coat ice etching?

If you sailed really fast could you create friction? Could you cause the gel coat to soften? Melt? Oh that would be cool.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Maybe you just need to dress for the weather. And, keep that brandy warm for after.:rolleyes:

-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 22, 2014
Aw. Gene. I was stylin in PacNW chic. The ideal dress for success when temps are in the low 40s, the squalls are ripping by at 25plus, and you want to get to a better anchorage.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Lets just hope it moderates by the time John & I try and head out on the 28th!!!

@Terry Cox sorry you missed the window for the sail. Show up at “skippers night at Scuttlebuts” and I buy you a pint to cry into

Les

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
And you think you have mid winter blues, I had to unlock the ladder, unzip the cover opening, climb the ladder and then sit in the cockpit under the cover and make wind noises on Sunday, now that is truly winter blues.......... sadly this is a true story.......

May 20, 2016
Hi Les, thank you for the very nice invitation. Will likely take you up on it. Crying a river here, ya know.
Let me know what you want and when you’ll be there and it will be waiting for you!!

Les

May 20, 2016
@Terry Cox isn’t the only one iced in. Came up to Everett to finish electrical install of galvanic isolator (bolting it down has to wait till @jssailem drives up from Oregon to give a hand). Got all wires connected and A/C heat is back in. Quite a few boats have snow piles several inches thick. I just have a few icy patches.

I’m iced in tho. Hope it’s gone by Tuesday so we can get out.
88408E74-F4A8-49D4-B0BC-F1C08114CCAD.jpeg

Oct 22, 2014
sit in the cockpit under the cover and make wind noises on Sunday, now that is truly winter blues
DD I was going to suggest the toon “Cry me a River” as theme music. Then I checked the temps and you might’ve ended up in the cockpit frozen in a block of ice like the Siberian woolly mammoths. Defrosting him did not go so well. Stay warm.