Registered users don't see ads

Mid-Boat Cleats

Discussion in 'Catalina 310' started by Frank H, Jun 15, 2018. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson

Joined Feb 26, 2004
    20,098 posts, 675 likes
    Catalina 34
    224 CA Maple Bay, BC, Canada
    I've always thought of chocks as being like line cutters only with slightly rounded edges. I find them dangerous. My boat is 32 years old, I've had her for 20. There is NO gel coat damage from using our bow & stern cleats in our slips or when traveling in all these years. Our cleats are in similar positions to those on a C310.

MikeToronto and Parsons like this.
  2. Parsons

Parsons

Joined Jul 12, 2011
    634 posts, 222 likes
    Catalina 36
    US Bay City, MI
    Now this is exactly the type of real-world practical information that I come here for. Thanks @Stu Jackson for information that I can use, and saves me years of experimenting!

jssailem likes this.
  3. Alansails

Alansails

Joined Oct 3, 2011
    583 posts, 72 likes
    Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155
    US Lake Erie/Catawba Island
    We use a midship cleat coming into the dock on the port side, First Mate/Wife grabs the breast line and attaches it to the midship cleat than I get the stern line and attach it, I can than power up to bring the bow to the port so First Mate/Wife can get the port side bow line and attach that, I ease the throttle back and kill the engine, Bow swings to Starboard and First mate/Wife gets starboard dock line and attaches that and we are done!...
    All that simple-Well most of the time,, :):biggrin::yikes:

jssailem likes this.
  4. MikeToronto

MikeToronto

Joined Mar 28, 2018
    14 posts, 4 likes
    Catalina 310, hull #315
    CA Toronto
    So, since we've talked about the mooring lines - can someone share the specs for theirs? I am thinking double braided nylon, either 1/2" or 5/8", thimble in the eye for the mooring ball side where the shackle goes, but what about the length? 7'?

5. pateco

pateco

Joined Aug 12, 2014
    2,174 posts, 608 likes
    Hunter 31 (1983)
    US Pompano Beach FL
    On the H31 the cleats are right on the rail, no chance to chafe.

Anchors.jpg

6. Parsons

Parsons

Joined Jul 12, 2011
    634 posts, 222 likes
    Catalina 36
    US Bay City, MI
    I'm a 'slip' person, but I am curious about this answer. I would think that the line from mooring ball to eye would be similar to the specifications for an all-chain anchor rode with snubber. Since three-strand nylon gives much more stretch, I would think that it would be better than double-braid between chain and boat. Please, enlighten me sailors that are on the ball!

7. jviss

jviss

Joined Feb 5, 2004
    3,118 posts, 411 likes
    Tartan 3800
    US Westport, MA
    That's a weird point of view, I must say. Maybe it's related to the type of boat? If you have teak toe rails, you absolutely need chocks, or you will quickly ruing the wood, unless, perhaps, if you fit metal anti-chafing strips.

This one is very smooth, nicely made, forged bronze that's chrome plated. It also holds the mooring line in. There was only this one, to port, so I bought one for the starboard side, too, as we are moored via a bridle to the mooring chain.

Chocks have been around as long as boats! Yes, avoid sharp ones (duh!).

8. jviss

jviss

Joined Feb 5, 2004
    3,118 posts, 411 likes
    Tartan 3800
    US Westport, MA
    It's up to the person who maintains the mooring, in my case, my marina. I don't own the mooring, I rent it. But same one for 18 years. Ours is a bridle, and I think 3/4" nylon three-strand (it's certainly nylon three strand, just not sure of the diameter - but it's big).

9. jviss

jviss

Joined Feb 5, 2004
    3,118 posts, 411 likes
    Tartan 3800
    US Westport, MA

10. jssailem

jssailem

Joined Oct 22, 2014
    6,938 posts, 2,600 likes
    CAL 35 Cruiser
    US Salem, Moored Port Everett WA
    I use 9/16 braided nylon rope for my dock lines. I find the while the rope is a bit larger than used by most of the boats docked near me, I have weathered several strong winter storms and not had any trouble with my lines. Braided nylon gives me about 15% stretch (elongation) yet has a good feel, is protected from chafe due to the braided cover, and has a 25% higher tensile strength (at about 11,000 lbs) than 3 strand of the same diameter at about 7500 lbs.

Flexible steel chafe pads
Innovative new product made of flexible, laser cut stainless steel. Must see!
NEW rigid hatch covers
Hatch protection like never before. Tough, secure, installs in seconds.
Sail Trim Chart and Guide
When it comes to sailing, as basic as salt and pepper and just as indispensable!
Ready-made sheets and halyards
Now faster than ever, our calculator tells you what sizes you need.