Micron size

Sep 7, 2011
Hunter 1980 37c Illinois
On a diesel Racor filter for our Yanmar engines... what micron size do you run?
Anyone run 30 microns?
3qm30h

Thanks

Mar 5, 2012
Hunter 37-cutter Saint Augustine
I run a 10 micron racor filter and there is a small filter on the eng, that I think it,s a 2 micron. but not sure.

KD3PC

Sep 25, 2008
boatless rainbow Callao, VA
I am in the 10 micron filters camp with Frankies, prior to the engine mounted one at 2 or 3 microns - can't recall. I also use the vacuum gauge on the filter housing as it gives a pretty good indication of things moving and being clear.

Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
Primary filter is a Racor 30 micron, secondary engine mounted filter is the Yanmar 10 micron.

Jun 8, 2004
C&C Frigate 36 St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia
Yanmar designs it engines with the filter size of 2 microns to protect the fuel system high pressure pump and injectors - this is why the small filter mounted on the engine is fitted with the 2 micron element. The Racor or other brand filters are usually added at the the time of engine installation and can be whatever you want. If you put a 2 micron element in the Racor, you will never have to change the filter on the engine, but you will change the Racor more often. 30 micron is a 'coarse' pre-filter and you will have to change both the Racor and the on-engine elements at regular intervals. Because the Racor is way over-capacity for my 30 HP at 500 GPM, I compromise and use a 10 micron filter element. I generally change the Racor element every two years and the Yanmar one at twice that interval. YMMV.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Yanmar designs it engines with the filter size of 2 microns to protect the fuel system high pressure pump and injectors - this is why the small filter mounted on the engine is fitted with the 2 micron element.
On older non common-rail Yanmar engines the on-engine Yanmar filter is not 2 micron. It is rated as a 10-15 micron element.

If one were to purchase a Yanmar branded primary fuel/water separator filter, from Yanmar, it is 30 Micron and nothing more than a re-branded Racor. The Yanmar Part number for the whole kit is 4230B and the filter cartridge only is 4230-0100.

Jun 8, 2004
I stand corrected! What is the point of diminishing return for filtering the diesel for an older Yanmar? Maybe I should go back to 2 micron in my primary Racor...

Jan 30, 2012
Nor'Sea 27 "Kiwanda" Portland/ Anacortes
Last edited:
Jun 8, 2004
Good thread Charles - thanks a lot for the link. I currently have a 10 micron Racor primary element and whatever spec the secondary, or 'guard' filter from Yanmar is, so according to the resident experts, I am good to go.