MH40 Running Rigging Specifications

Mar 21, 2016
Hunter MH40 Apollo Beach, FL
I am replacing the halyards on my MH40. I ordered the main halyard and topping lift from sailboatowners.com, but have not had time to run them yet. Since the spinnaker halyard does not require any eye splices, I bought a line according to the running rigging specifications chart in the owners manual. It specifies 121 feet of 12 mm line. I pulled that one through and with the shackle tied down at the base of the mast, there was barely enough line to take a couple turns on the closest (manual) winch. I measured the halyard I took off and it was 150 feet. I certainly don't need that much, but 121 feet is pretty sparse. I hope I don't have that problem with either of the other two lines I had made. Has anyone else had issues with this?

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
I have found the spec's on my 40.5 in the manual for rigging length to be too conservative for my taste and found I used longer lengths. The second time, I brought a spool of Spectra for the jib, main and spinnaker halyards and had a bunch left over. Paid less than just a main and jib halyard, but I did need to learn the high-tech splice.