Metal cockpit arch

Sep 11, 2017
Hunter 270 Berkeley
This device appears mounted across the cockpit in the newer and larger (than 26ft) boats, in some models the arch is made of fiberglass. A traveler is mounted atop and the mainsheet tied to it. http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2006/Hunter-36-2894009/Norfolk/VA/United-States#.WxIvySBlDa8. It opens space in the cockpit since it can eliminate the mainsheet attachment on the floor in front of the pedestal H260. I wonder if such structure exist/can be adapted to the H260?

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
You would probably have to have it made. There is a guy near my home that makes ustomized aluminum utility racks for pickup trucks. Almost the same purpose so maybe you could find someone similar

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
The 260 was designed as a trailerable boat. Any arch would be in the way when taking the mast down not to mention when down the top of the mast would be above 13’ 6” if trailering.

Even if collapsible where would you store it is another issue when trailering, weight, cost and so forth. I advised Hunter against any arch and they fully understood and agreed not to design any arch system as it goes against the original concept of trailering.

If you insist on an arch you will have to design one, beef up the construction of the boat where are supports would go and so on

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
For once, I'm not with CrazyDave on this. It looks like the 260 sits pretty low on the trailer, so it would have to be a very tall arch to put the mast above 12 feet, I think. As far as extras bracing, the side pull on the lever arm an arch would represent for a sheet is significant, Dave is right to think about that, but arches also distribute that force across their width. Good backing plates and a four legged design, not two legs, would go a long way to helping.
You only need height enough to walk under in the cockpit. And it makes a nice stowage rack for holding one end of the mast when trailering.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Will

First if one trailering the boat all the time, it would take alot of time to detach and on a hot summer day most folks would not want to do that. Then there is the cost most would not be interested at all. Then where would you store it. Cabin not big enough. Cockpit not big enough either. From lifeline down to ground the height is anywhere from 7 feet to 8 1/2 feet. Then there is the mast being carried on top of the boat and the 260 most of them had wheel steering that would be in the way. By the way the aft mast carrier is 11 to 11 1/2 feet off the ground which height with mast in carrier would be raised some in the mast carrier. The list goes on but this was looked into great detail as to the possibility along with Hunter engineers along with Watten Luhrs, owner of Hunter, and myself and we all agree great idea but inconceivable for the 260. Also I have installed, taken down and transported larger boats with arches. This is an area I know

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Thanks Walt and that was considered at one point too. It probably be done but height clearance on the 260 with mast created issues

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
If the arch was tall enough to stand under, it would easily be close to or over 13’ from the road.
Not to mention that the mast would lean up against it, and the aft end would be way up there.
We never had a problem with the Bimini on the Mac, but the one for the little Catalina is unwieldy, it’s a foot bigger than the full size box on the truck, and a serious pita to secure.

Measure carefully and expect low clearances.

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
I just noticed that on the Compac Eclipse that they also raise the mast at the bow pulpit so that the mast is level on the trailer. Might have been a height issue without doing this.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
And that’s exactly the kind of thing that people don’t think about :)

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Meriachee and Walt

One thing I forgot to mention that was considered and true in many locations I went to was low lying overhangs, limbs/trees and things along that line was catching a fixed arch on a small boat and resulting damage. I had seen that even on a larger boat with the arch in place. No fun repairing However it’s up to the individual owner of any boat to make that decision as to installing an arch on a small boat and that is where I will leave this thread

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
There are "arches in a box" from Atlantic Towers or Kato,
"Because Kato’s arches vary in configurations and tube sizes, the prices vary considerably. The starting price is around $5400.00 (small - no truss) and may be above $8900.00. To this must be added the options. Most arches are in the $8000 - $9000 range, plus options. Call for more details. Prices for the options can be found on the option list."
http://www.katomarine.com/sailarches-price.htm
http://www.atlantictowers.com/products_sail_arch.php
Good for solar panels etc. but,