MERRIMAN YACHT SPECIALTIES - SPARE PARTS

Apr 29, 2017
Hunter 27 Annapolis
I have a Merriman Yacht Specialties Steering Pedestal on my Hunter 27. It is missing the part that holds the Throttle cable, which I believe is called a leg or an arm. Please see the attached photos. One shows my system which has only one arm (the gear shift arm), the other shows an intact system, with both arms. I am trying to find a source for the missing arm. Does anyone have one or know of where to buy Yacht Specialties spare parts?

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I believe the arms are pretty much a standard item on many of those units, no matter who has put their name on them. Check out Morse and a few other throttle/shifters and you should be good to go. Look at motor/speed boat throttle/shifters too.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
First, Welcome Aboard .. the forum has lots of great info.. and lots of members who are willing to help.
In the "Boat Info" tab, under "General Downloads" you can find the Merriman info.. Some units were installed without the cable arm for the throttle cable .. check out page 46 in this download:
https://sbo.sailboatowners.com/downloads/Hunter_gen_18329874.pdf
Those rely on the bottom clamp at the engine and the clamp on the aft side of the pedestal to support the throttle cable since it is low force compared to the transmission cable.. If you determine that you need one and you don't see it in the ship's bowels, try the used parts guys in your area, Bacon Sails, Good Old Boat Consignment.. etc..

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Thank you Kloudie1 for the link to the Merriman manual above. I did not ask the original question here in this thread but I did note your manual link. My 1980 Hunter 33 has had the throttle lever backwards for 37 years! You have to pull the lever back to increase throttle. The Merriman manual explains how to correct this at the pedestal. I will correct mine immediately. Probably take me a few years to adapt to this change.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
The new owner of SBO use to work for Hunter and sold parts to dealers and customers alike. The forum store would be a good start to see if they can help you sir. The folks or vendors around Bert Jabins boat yard probably can direct or help you as well in Annapolis.

Apr 29, 2017
Hunter 27 Annapolis
I believe the arms are pretty much a standard item on many of those units, no matter who has put their name on them. Check out Morse and a few other throttle/shifters and you should be good to go. Look at motor/speed boat throttle/shifters too.
Thanks Capta, I'm finding nothing is standard. Google search on Morse didn't yield anything useful. Edison seems to have a different set up. Thanks very much for your comments though; I'll do some more digging on Morse. The search continues.

Apr 29, 2017
Hunter 27 Annapolis
First, Welcome Aboard .. the forum has lots of great info.. and lots of members who are willing to help.
In the "Boat Info" tab, under "General Downloads" you can find the Merriman info.. Some units were installed without the cable arm for the throttle cable .. check out page 46 in this download:
https://sbo.sailboatowners.com/downloads/Hunter_gen_18329874.pdf
Those rely on the bottom clamp at the engine and the clamp on the aft side of the pedestal to support the throttle cable since it is low force compared to the transmission cable.. If you determine that you need one and you don't see it in the ship's bowels, try the used parts guys in your area, Bacon Sails, Good Old Boat Consignment.. etc..
Thanks Kloudie1, That manual is fantastic!!! And thanks for the tip on the "General Downloads". There is a lot of great info there!

I'm now wondering if I have the model with the clamp attached to the rear of the pedestal tube as shown on pg 46. If so, whoever replaced the cable last neglected to re-attach it; or more likely was too lazy to disassemble the entire top of the unit to access the clamp. I think the tell will be whether or not I have a screw on the rear of the tube as shown in the diagram. If so, I'll have to take the whole thing apart to see if the bracket is still there. If it is, my problem is solved; if not I'll be looking for a different, but likely easier to replace part.

I did stop by Bacon's on Friday, but they didn't have the Arm Bracket in their used stocks. I haven't heard of Good Old Boat but will check them out, if I determine I need the part based on the above. I'll also stop by Fairwinds; although they are more focused on power boats, they have a big warehouse full of old items.

Thanks again, you have been very helpful and I truly appreciate it.

Jason

Apr 29, 2017
Hunter 27 Annapolis
The new owner of SBO use to work for Hunter and sold parts to dealers and customers alike. The forum store would be a good start to see if they can help you sir. The folks or vendors around Bert Jabins boat yard probably can direct or help you as well in Annapolis.
Thanks Dave,

I did try the forum store, but unfortunately no luck; they directed me here. In the end Kloudie1 may have solved my problem. If not and I do need the Arm Bracket, I'll do just as you and he have suggested. I expect there is a metal shop around the Jabins area that can fabricate one for me if need be. Thanks again for your good advice.

Jason

Jun 27, 2004
Hunter 34 New Bern, NC
Hi Jason, I have the exact same problem on a Hunter 34. I believe the part is called a fuel leg in the manual that Kloudie sent both of us. Thanks to Kloudie, I now know that I am missing the fuel leg. It probably broke before I bought my boat. I will let you know if I find a source for the part.

Jun 21, 2007
Hunter Cherubini 36_80-82 Sausalito / San Francisco Bay
I have a 1980 Cherubini Hunter 36. Also with a Yacht Specialties/Merriman pedestal.

Notwithstanding your question/quest for the arms/legs, if your boat is still fitted the original control head onto with they attach ... ALSO REPLACE THE CONTROL HEAD!

Here is link to the part on SBO: https://shop.sailboatowners.com/prod.php?54883

Reason is that the OEM head is made of plastic which over time will become brittle and weak. Plastic technology in 1979/80 was still evolving for high stress applications. And the chemists didn't always succeed. The tangs of the Yacht Specialties OEM plastic head onto which the arms/legs are attached first develop some stress cracks. Then during the most inconvenient situation, they can (more like will at some point) completely break off. Such as when berthing and needing to shift into reverse to stop the boat.

I personally observed my head unit had cracks back in 2007 when I bought my boat. And doing an internet search encountered a few horror stories when the arms broke away from the control head.

Last edited: