Meet... The Mule

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
That is not sailing in my opinion. Junk technology.
No offense.

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
That is not sailing in my opinion. Junk technology.
No offense.
Please explain how this is "Junk Technology". Foils have been around for quite some time. I know some have difficulty letting go of the square rigger days but, all of our sloops are a function of technology advancement. I wasn't fan of the foiling cats myself and probably not of these either but, they are an evolution of technology being applied to racing. Just like auto racing, technology, design, and materials are fleshed out there first. There are now carbon boats, first appeared in racing boats. Now it is becoming more prevalent in production boats.

May 23, 2016
O'Day 1984 23 Island Park, NY
Awesome.. saw that video when they came to he cradle of aviation museum for a presentation which supposedly was later that same day... I won't say how fast they said they were going...

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Isn't it obvious when the power boats were struggling to keep up? :yikes: What I'd like to know is what wind speed is needed for a boat like to achieve foiling speed? I might put some skis on my boat and see if I can do the same thing.

May 23, 2016
What I'd like to know is what wind speed is needed for a boat like to achieve foiling speed?
I seem to remember a certain windspeed I'm not allowed to repeat... But really look at the water in the video... That's no more than force 4... If it's that

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
One video I watched did not mention wind speed, but the guy (a Brit if I remember) said these boats are capable of up to 50+ knots. That I believe. I guess if you are a racer, that is good. But for a leisure sailor, I don't see any of that technology moving down to the common sailor. At least not yet.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
technology moving down to the common sailor.
Where is the common sailor going to get the 4 guys to peddle bike generators to power the hydraulic systems needed to control the foils.

May 23, 2016
Common sailor can use wind generator and/or batteries.. depending of course how much power is actually needed.. of course we are talking many moons down the road

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Looks very cool, think about the wings and spoilers added to race cars and how that technology is common on cars and even performance oriented SUVs now.

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
Where is the common sailor going to get the 4 guys to peddle bike generators to power the hydraulic systems needed to control the foils.
They are powered by a battery pack. No "bikers" in this design.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
I can't imagine trying to avoid crab/lobster pots wile tooling along at 25+ knots.. part B: that foil looks a lot like a Rocna anchor.. It'd be fun (?) to unstick that from a clay bank !..
Cool technology, no doubt.. fun to sail .. Indeed !! Practical for other than class racing or ocean crossing at speed; prolly not.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Just imagine dodging the Gulf oil platforms.. Kind of wonder what would happen cruising upto Cuban waters doing 25+ knots. Sure to bring out visitors.....

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
(highjack?) We were "visited" by a Pegasus class Coast Guard hydrofoil one night while doing a transit from Isla Mujeres Mx. to Key West.. We could see a big boat occluding the stars as it approached at 30+ kts.. was pretty spooky until they got close and turned on 10 bajillion lumens of spotlight and told us they were Coasties.. we were blinded for many seconds.. They let us alone without boarding after verifying papers.. We got to watch as they got back on the foils and quickly got out of sight!.. I can't imagine them running into nets with that thing at speed!
Yes it is raining here today..

May 23, 2016
They are powered by a battery pack. No "bikers" in this design.
I think the Batts are only to power the wing arm joints to raise and lower... I think there will be grinders to power hydraulics for the"sails" and to actuate the wings at the end of the arms... those grinders have to be hands this time... No peddlers, right?

May 23, 2016
think about the wings and spoilers added to race cars and how that technology is common on cars and even performance oriented SUVs now.
Right... Providing the common sailor the power to control these things only seems impossible now because noone has figured it out yet... Let's remember that this tech on big boats is still in its infancy

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Fun to watch, and most of us might like a 'ride along'...
but to compare it to an everyday sailboat is tantamount to trying to compare an F1 car to a Prius. They are both "vehicles" but built for completely different venues. And either one is perfect for its intended use.... :)