McGregor 26 sail for a Catalina 25

May 4, 2015
Catalina 25 Lake Travis
Just bought our boat last week and the sails were in terrible shape. We took her out yesterday and the main basically exploded. I'm trying to find a new main and a sail shop guy said he had a McGregor 26 sail in stock that would work. Apparently the McGregor sail is 7" longer on the foot and 2" longer on the luff. Is this a terrible idea?

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
Tell him you want your money back if you don't like it. Give it a try if he agrees.
Chief

Dec 23, 2008
Catalina 22 Central Penna.
Sails are made to fit each boat, the Mac is a 3/4 rigged mast with a large main and small headsail. A Catalina is rigged at the top of the mast with the headsail being the powersail.

Nov 26, 2012
Get the measurements, it may fit. Lots of sails can be used on different boats. Chief

Nov 26, 2012
Go to sailboatdata.com. I just did and Catalina has a larger main than McGregor but not by much. Depends on models/year, so the sail could work. Give it a try. Chief

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Is this a terrible idea?
Depends on what your definition of 'terrible' is.

IIRC the Mac main is smaller than the cat25, so it will 'fit' on the boom and mast.

Now, the Mac25 is fractional, and will have the pre-bend for the rig built into the sail. I doubt you sail the 25 is anywhere near that amount, so the sail will be 'full'.

The Mac26 is much lighter than the c25, so the sail will likely be constructed of lighter weight cloth that a c25 main.

What about condition? Remember the sails of your boat are its engine. Good sails are the best investment you can make.