Maxwell Windlass Anchor Chain Gypsy Jams

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 22, 2004
- - Anacortes
Fellow 310 Owners,

Repeated Maxwell VW 500 chain gypsy jams have me in a quandary. I wonder if others of you have experienced a similar problem?

It seems to me that the basic problem is the configuration of the chain locker and the necessary placement of the windlass in a less than ideal location. In frustration, I am considering a modification of the anchor locker to accommodate a deck-mounted vertical windlass.

But before going forward with that, any thoughts and ideas are cordially solicited.

Gary

Oct 17, 2011
Catalina 310 USA
I was told by the surveyor that I should not use the chain directly on the winch, just the rope portion. True?

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
Catalina 310 Anacortes,Wa
iSailor

Just because I've been using the chain on the winch capstan since 2006, does not mean it is the best thing to

do.

I do know it works and I've not observed any ware or tare on the capstan, at least to the naked eye, over the

years.

Just because I do things a certian way doesn't make it right, the best way, legal, etc.......just showing

and sharing what I did.

paulj :troll:

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 310 Scott Creek, VA
I have also worked the capstan with one wrap of chain for about six years to haul in my anchor without any problems. I suppose the chain will eventually wear the finish off the drum, but I can live with it. If you limit it to one turn it won't jam

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
Fellow 310 Owners,

Repeated Maxwell VW 500 chain gypsy jams have me in a quandary. I wonder if others of you have experienced a similar problem?

It seems to me that the basic problem is the configuration of the chain locker and the necessary placement of the windlass in a less than ideal location. In frustration, I am considering a modification of the anchor locker to accommodate a deck-mounted vertical windlass.

But before going forward with that, any thoughts and ideas are cordially solicited.

Gary
Not sure why you would want to do this? How long is your chain?

Jun 22, 2004
- - Anacortes
Not sure why you would want to do this? How long is your chain?
Due to some deep anchorages and significant tides, I carry 200 ft. of chain and 175 ft. of rope.

However, upon further reflection, the vertical windlass solution was going to be overly expensive. I am now planning to solicit bids for a modification that would allow the existing Maxwell VW 500 to be repositioned farther forward in the locker. That will have the chain drop directly to the lowest part of the locker of ~32”. In its present OEM placement, it drops only ~15” measured from the top of the windlass housing but only ~10" from the bottom of the chain gypsy. The problem occurs when the chain pile reaches a couple inches from the bottom of the winch. I have already tried installing a steel bar to strip the chain as it comes from the gypsy to no avail. Any less expensive remedies would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
Due to some deep anchorages and significant tides, I carry 200 ft. of chain and 175 ft. of rope.

However, upon further reflection, the vertical windlass solution was going to be overly expensive. I am now planning to solicit bids for a modification that would allow the existing Maxwell VW 500 to be repositioned farther forward in the locker. That will have the chain drop directly to the lowest part of the locker of ~32”. In its present OEM placement, it drops only ~15” measured from the top of the windlass housing but only ~10" from the bottom of the chain gypsy. The problem occurs when the chain pile reaches a couple inches from the bottom of the winch. I have already tried installing a steel bar to strip the chain as it comes from the gypsy to no avail. Any less expensive remedies would be greatly appreciated.
The 310s that most have do not have the chain cog (can't remember the real name for this). I would think you could fashion a SS channel that is narrow at the top and wider at the bottom to help as a guide.

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
Witzend

The 310s that most have do not have the chain cog (can't remember the real name for this). I would think you could fashion a SS channel that is narrow at the top and wider at the bottom to help as a guide.
What it comes down to is wet hands or dry hands design........ 1st choice reverse motor winding direction

Attachments

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
If your worried about getting your hands wet, pick another hobby.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
If your worried about getting your hands wet, pick another hobby.
Amen to that! We've never used the windlass because we have 100' feet of chain and no gypsy. So my wife powers up the boat while I haul the rode in by hand ( we use hand signals, which works very well ). Then I use a bucket with a line on it to wash off the mud, etc., from my hands and the bow area.

Jun 22, 2004
- - Anacortes
Follow-up

Here is how I addressed the problem of the placement of my Maxwell Windlass chain gypsy jams. I had the locker modified to replace the existing windlass placing a shelf with an 8” vertical lip just below the hatch cover. Then I moved the windlass forward and a chain guide fabricated so that the chain is stripped as it comes in. Also, the guide prevents chain jams as it is deployed with the gypsy with the clutch.

There may be some owners who choose to pull their anchor chain by hand. However, the combination of 200 feet of chain and a 76-year old back (that has endured major surgery) led me to make the modification. ;-)

Attachments

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
Here is how I addressed the problem of the placement of my Maxwell Windlass chain gypsy jams. I had the locker modified to replace the existing windlass placing a shelf with an 8” vertical lip just below the hatch cover. Then I moved the windlass forward and a chain guide fabricated so that the chain is stripped as it comes in. Also, the guide prevents chain jams as it is deployed with the gypsy with the clutch.

There may be some owners who choose to pull their anchor chain by hand. However, the combination of 200 feet of chain and a 76-year old back (that has endured major surgery) led me to make the modification. ;-)

Gary

Looks pretty good...........

Status
Not open for further replies.