Maxwell winches

Jan 11, 2004
Hunter 31_83-87 Middle River, MD
I am searching for a replacement winch for the halyard winch on my '86 H31. The winch is a Maxwell size 17, and I have searched on Google to no avail. I did find one from a place in Michigan called N&J Marine, but after three un-answered phone calls and an email, I gave up. I know Maxwell is no longer in the winch business.
Does anyone have any suggestions. I would like to find a direct replacement, but may have to go with Lewmar or other brand.

Dave Groshong

SBO Staff
Staff member
Jan 25, 2007
Catalina 22 Seattle
Have you tried these guys?
http://www.maxwellmarine.com/

We would be pleased to offer Lewmar or Harken winches, yes the mounting holes will be different. Let me know if you'd like a quote. The base diameter of your present Maxwell winch will be key.

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
I recommend just going with something else. I replaced mine with a pair of Lewmar 40's (ebay) and never looked back. Much better. The Maxwell winches are crap. I also replaced the jib sheet winches with Lewmar 46 ST's. Much happier.

Mar 11, 2009
Hunter 40 Saint John
Hey Tom
I was looking for maxwell winch replacement parts several years ago, there is a company in Austrailia that bought all there equipment. When I contacted them, they had no spare [parts but if they gpt a big enough request theye might make the replacement parts.. Not worth the wait or aggrevation.

Here is the link: http://www.maxwellmarine.com/support.php

Dec 23, 2003
Hunter H31 83-87 Captain's Cove Bridgeport, CT
I replaced my Maxwells with self tailing Harken winches years ago when I couldn’t get replacement parts for the Maxwells

Jul 23, 2018
hunter 31 aquia
Im replacing my cabintop winches thursday. forget the size . Ill check on thursday. interested?

Jan 11, 2004
Hunter 31_83-87 Middle River, MD
Thanks for all the advice. I am planning to install a used Lewmar winch I bought on eBay.