Maxwell VC500 lubrication?

AlexC

Feb 26, 2017
Catalina 320 Hingham
I have a Catalina 320 with the factory-installed Maxwell VC500 anchor windless. I've never lubricated it and decided now is the time. The manual refers to a 'sight glass' but I don't see one (and the parts diagram doesn't show one). There is on the top of the gear box a 3/8" opening. (Windless is mounted horizontally in the anchor locker). When I look in it, I see the shaft and can see gears, but no lube.

Do I put lubricant in that hole? The manual refers to SAE 90 weight oil.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Underneath the capstan is the gearbox. At one end of the gearbox is the motor, at the other end of the gearbox is the sight glass. It is a plastic screw-in plug that is easily over torqued (no need to ask how I know this).

I'm not sure exactly how your unit is mounted, but you will probably need to drop the gearbox, open it up, drain, and refill the gearbox. If the gearbox is overfilled it will pressurize and the sight glass may not survive the over pressurization. The gearbox should separate fairly easily. There is a large nut that holds the gearbox to the capstan and 4 bolts that hold the motor to the gearbox. Assuming decent access this is a 10 minute disassembly job.

Open the gearbox up, there are 4(?) allen head screws that hold the top on. Drain and refill with the recommended amount of oil. Replace all the gaskets. Defender may have a gasket kit for about $30.

Will, the US Sales Manager is very responsive and helpful. You can reach him through their website, Maxwell.