Max prop settings Legend 35.5

May 18, 2017
Hunter 35 New Orleans
Hunter legend 35.5, Yanmar 3GM30f, I'm replacing my fixed pitch 18x11 two blade propeller with a 16" Max Prop classic. Can anyone with a similar configuration tell me the prop settings you find to be the right pitch?

Mar 3, 2003
Hunter 356 Grand Rivers
I have a Hunter 356, 2003 model with 3GM30F AND MaxProp since new. I had it refurbished last year and changed from 22 to 20 degrees of pitch. I am going to change back to 22 when I pull next time as I went faster before I made change. PYI originally recommended 22 degrees and I discussed it with them before changing to 20. I can live with the change as I get my Max rated RPM of 3650 but my speed has dropped from 6.2 to 5.8 knots at my normal running RPM of 2750. I have more power but I'd rather have the cruising speed. I can get it, I just have to increase my RPM, but it is noisier and uses more fuel,when I do. If I go back to Florida, cruising a 10 hour day takes me 58 nautical miles versus my old 62. That 4 nautical miles takes me an extra 41 minutes so I think I am burning about the same total fuel just getting there slower and at a less percentage of total rated RPM. The power reduction is not worth the extra time spent and I don't need more power thru the water. Noise is barely different inside the saloon.

Get their recommendation at PYI. They know what they are doing and know what your boat should use as a setting.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2004
Hunter 340 Lake Lanier, GA
Neither of you mentioned 2 blade vs. 3 blade Maxprop which probably makes a difference. My 340 has a Kanzaki transmission on the same engine and the original owner switched out the original 2 fixed blade Martec for a 3 blade Maxprop, both 16 inch diameter. He had set the Maxprop to 20 deg, but I backed it off to 18 deg and can now reach both hull speed and max engine RPM. My settings are "EH". I think the 35.5, 340 and 356 all have similar hull shapes.

May 18, 2017
Hunter 35 New Orleans
Thanks for pointing out my omission. Yes I am installing a 3 bladed Maxprop.
I do have a Yanmar 3GM30F with the Kanzaki Transmission Ratio 2.61.

TommmD

Jul 22, 2014
Hunter Legend 355 Portsmouth, RI
I'm having trouble finding the tranny name plate for the s/n & ratio. Can you tell me where its located?

Thx,

May 18, 2017
Hunter 35 New Orleans
On my transmission, the plate is on the aft end of the transmission. If you can look at the transmission coupling from the behind the transmission, you should be able to see it above the coupling. Let me know if you need me to post a picture and I’ll run out to the boat and get one.

TommmD

Jul 22, 2014
Hunter Legend 355 Portsmouth, RI
Perfect! Had to remove a small access plate to find it, but there she was!

Kansaki KM3P 2.6:1

Thx v much!