Max prop 22 inch for Oceanis 430?

Dec 31, 2012
Beneteau Oceanis 430 Penang, Malaysia
Hi guys,
I got a Max Prop Classic 2-blade free from a friend. I'm not at my boat now and its in the water so can't measure the shaft diameter and the tip clearances at this time. Would anyone know if this prop would fit my boat? Boat is a 1989 Oceanis 430 with a Perkins Prima M50 engine. Prop is a late 1980's Max prop Classic 2-blade with about 22 inch from blade tip to blade tip, and looks like it would accept a shaft of about 1.25 to 1 inch diameter. The body is a torpedo shape with no anode attachment at the end. I presume the only possible anode one could use is around the shaft, and I have no way to check now if there would be enough space for the anode on the shaft at between hull and prop. The other thing is the 22 inch clearance.
Anyone please?

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
99% chance your boat has a metric tapered shaft. If the new prop is not tapered you're outa luck; nevermind clearance.

Dec 31, 2012
Beneteau Oceanis 430 Penang, Malaysia
99% chance your boat has a metric tapered shaft. If the new prop is not tapered you're outa luck; nevermind clearance.
Thank you Jack, think you are right. I measured my prop shaft using a vernier caliper, at aft of tranny, it's diameter is about 35mm or 1 & 3/8 inch.
The Max Prop's shaft insert IS tapered, from about 1 inch af aft to about 1 & 1/2 inch at forward.
So IF my shaft is tapered and the key will fit, maybe there is a match.
But here is the catch, I have never seen my shaft's end so I do not know know if it is tapered or straight (see photos I found from internet for explanation).
And, as I pointed out earlier, I do not know if there is enough clearance for the tips.. And an anode should also be attached somewhere.. If I recall correct, I currently have almost zero shaft visible outside. Would it be ok to attach a shaft type anode over the max prop body? (Current prop is a fixed prop with a small anode at prop end. "Beneteau anode they are called?)

So that's why I wanted to ask if someone has gone through this and can advice..

http://www.riverbredemoorings.com/userimages/P1010184.JPG

http://www.riverbredemoorings.com/userimages/propsha(1).jpg

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Max-Prop prepped spring 2016.jpg

So this is my 3-blade Max-Prop. You will notice it has tight clearance between the prop body and the cutless bearing vent. So I use a special thin 'Benteau anode" (aluminum), polish the end of the MaxProp and butt the anode tight to it for extra corrosion protection. The prop also has an anode on the aft end. That is a 30mm shaft, tapered. The prop is painted with Pettit Zinc paint.

Aug 30, 2017
beneteau oceanis 430 cornwall
i am truly surprised at the total lack of collective knowledge about the 430 oceanis.they must have made over a hundred boats.Beneteau themselves are a total disgrace as far as after sales knowledge, let alone there refusal to speak english.ive sailed my yacht for only 500nm and i really enjoy it but to get any information is trully a nightmare,to the point that im sorry i bought it now.hugely disappointed.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Hi guys,
I got a Max Prop Classic 2-blade free from a friend. I'm not at my boat now and its in the water so can't measure the shaft diameter and the tip clearances at this time. Would anyone know if this prop would fit my boat? Boat is a 1989 Oceanis 430 with a Perkins Prima M50 engine. Prop is a late 1980's Max prop Classic 2-blade with about 22 inch from blade tip to blade tip, and looks like it would accept a shaft of about 1.25 to 1 inch diameter. The body is a torpedo shape with no anode attachment at the end. I presume the only possible anode one could use is around the shaft, and I have no way to check now if there would be enough space for the anode on the shaft at between hull and prop. The other thing is the 22 inch clearance.
Anyone please?
No clue about the physical dimensions, however, it's important to note that prop size should be determined not byif it fits but rather by engine rating and hull form.

Intuitively, it seems to me a 22inch prop may be too big but I don't know what engine you have.

Aug 30, 2017
beneteau oceanis 430 cornwall
ive got a 17inch VETUS prop that i bought it is 25. tapered to 22. im running a 4108 perkins 50hp,like you my boat is else where so i havent measured it but im led to belive that is a 1 inch shaft.I think if im wrong then it will be a 1,1/4 or 1,1/2 shaft because an 18 and 19 inch prop comes in those shaft sizes.19 looks to be the biggest size clearence wise

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
i am truly surprised at the total lack of collective knowledge about the 430 oceanis.they must have made over a hundred boats.Beneteau themselves are a total disgrace as far as after sales knowledge, let alone there refusal to speak english.ive sailed my yacht for only 500nm and i really enjoy it but to get any information is trully a nightmare,to the point that im sorry i bought it now.hugely disappointed.
That's too bad. I'm going through withdrawal now, coming from a Catalina 36, of which over 2,000 were made, with tons of knowledge online, to a Tartan 3800, of which only 44 were made. There's virtually nothing online about the boat, no one on this site to share with, learn from, etc. But, I still love the boat, and I'll be fine being a loner with this one!
What kind of information do you seek? For me, I'd first like to figure out which Mitsubishi engine the Westerbeke 38B Four is based on, for maintenance and spare parts. Not really a Tartan thing. I'd also like to learn about maintenance experiences.
I've connected with two fellows, one of whom was quite prolific in documenting his upgrades and experiences, but has since sold the boat.