material quest

Jaul

May 30, 2018
Macgregor Venture 17 It is moored on its trailer
I am restoring a 1969 17' Venture. Two questions about materials:
1. what is best material to use for winch to swing keel cable?
2. the trailer that came with the boat has carpet strips on boards that the boat rests on. Is there a preferred type of carpet (or a particular type not to use?)
any input is appreciated.

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
IMO
1) Stainless cable, high tech rope would work if you can be sure it won't rub on something like a turn or side of the winch.
2) West Marine and other marine stores sell some special carpet for bunks. I think any carpet that does not hold water (outdoor carpet) is lower priced and it works for me. But then I'm odd because I use stall mat between the wood and carpet to allow more surface area to be supported. UV rays are the biggest thing that destroys the carpet when the boat is off the trailer I believe.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
:plus:

Yep! Stainless and outdoor grade carpet. You can get both at Lowes or try Tractor Supply for the cable. Make sure your bails and cable clamps are also stainless.

Feb 8, 2017
MacGregor MacGregor 25 Middle River
Agree with all above - while you have it all apart, make sure the integrity of the winch, all fasteners, and mounting surface are still good. If it's all original, it's all 49 years old...

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
The West Wight Potter 19 has a lifting steel plate keel. Many owners have replaced the SS wire with Dyneema single braid rope. Something like Sampson Rope Amsteel Blue.

Use-specific bunk carpet should be used on the trailer bunks. This carpet will drain water quickly and won't hold onto it. Keeping wet bunk carpet next to even fiberglass hulls can be problematic. You can source bunk carpet here: https://www.easternmarine.com/Boat-Trailer-Bunks-Bunk-Covers/ There are also plastic bunk slides you could install, but be forewarned, boats have and will slip right off the trailer with bunk slides.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
You can buy indoor/outdoor carpet that is really for outdoors that will last for years. As a dealer that is what I covered the bunk boards with lasting for years

Sep 7, 2018
Chrysler C-22 Battle Creek
As usual for this Forum, all good advice. I will probably be needing to replace mine soon. In the grand scheme of things, the cost of the carpet on my bunk boards is rather insignificant . So I will just get some indoor/outdoor carpet that looks good on the trailer. If it lasts even a hanful of years, I will consider that a win. And put some new on again.