masthead spinnaker block issue

rmwac

Apr 22, 2011
Catalina 30 Watkins Glen
In the photo you see a plate the PO had made to accommodate a swivel block for the spinnaker. The good part is that it is out ahead of the furler foil, and has free reign to swivel without chafing a halyard. The bad part is that there is no clean way to stow the halyard against the mast without hanging up the headsail during furling/unfurling. I am forced to stow the halyard by clipping it to the very forward end of the bow pulpit rail, and then tying off the bitter end again to the same rail, so the halyard is looped out ahead of the headsail. What alternative mountings are customary? I have a spare halyard (white/red stripe.... just visible in the bottom of the photo) , but it is beneath the headsail halyard, and is also sheaved, which I would guess would chafe the halyard due to the lateral forces when running the spinnaker. A dumb newbie question, but thanks in advance from anyone who can help. Ron Waclawik Delta G 1984 Catalina 30 Watkins Glen, NY

Attachments

May 6, 2012
Hunter 28.5 Jordan, ON
Can you whip the halyard around aft of the spreader and then tie it off? That might lead it aft of the foil.

Feb 25, 2014
Catalina 30 Grand Lake. Wyandotte, Ok.
I think Nom has a good idea. Maybe others will chime in with a better idea. But I must say that is one great pic of the mast head and fittings.

CCHer

Jul 7, 2010
Beneteau 37 Cranes Creek, VA
My old, old boat (Pelle Petterson 95) had a very similar spinnaker crane out front of the furling headsail. I had the boat 14 years with the spinnaker halyard always tied off on the bow pulpit when not used. Could not find a way to tie it off at the mast without interfering with the genoa so lived with it and never really thought about it. I'd be interested if you find a solution.

rmwac

Apr 22, 2011
Catalina 30 Watkins Glen
it's just a PITA, as I have to untie it all while straining around the furler, then thread it thru the deck organizer and clutch every time I want to use the spinnaker. By the time I contemplate it all, I wind up just throwing the whisker pole on the 150% genny, and going wing and wing..... probably make the same speeds, but the spinnaker does look cooler :)

Jan 6, 2010
RM,

I have a similar setup & also use an additional spare halyard for any forward use. for stowing, I take the spinnaker halyard and run it down to my upper shroud chainplate on my 1980 C30. There is a hole in the fitting that my swivel snap shackle can clip to. On my starboard side I do the same for the spare.

Not wanting to critique anyone, as some have lesser options for halyard placement but, I'm not crazy about wrapping a halyard around the upper shroud. I see this on boats & the rope wears on the cabling over time depending on movement from wind & vibration.

I have seen folks that have attached a connecting fitting on their stanchion, & some even clip simply clip the halyards onto their lifelines.

CR