MASTHEAD SPIN BLOCK EXTENDER

May 18, 2009
2 30 oriental,nc
I am having trouble with my spinnaker hailyard catching in the jib as it is being furled or unfurled . Is there crain or extender that would move the hailyard block forward of the mast?

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Yes, they are called masthead cranes. What kind of boat do you have? Do you have a photo of the mast head?

If you stow the spin halyard at the pulpit it is more likely to get caught in the jib. Bring the end of the halyard to mast and secure it. One place is on the spin pole car.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
My O’Day 322 has a bit of a mast crane. But the spin halyard uses a roller instead of a block (may change that in the near future. But you can see the relationship between the spin halyard and the jib furler. Note that I have a CDI furler with a built-in wire halyard (so no halyard for the jib at the mast head.
IMG_3601.JPG
I do pull my spin halyard around the speakers and tie off to a shroud even with the mast when I am not using it.

Greg

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
My O’Day 322 has a bit of a mast crane. But the spin halyard uses a roller instead of a block (may change that in the near future. But you can see the relationship between the spin halyard and the jib furler. Note that I have a CDI furler with a built-in wire halyard (so no halyard for the jib at the mast head.
View attachment 145507
I do pull my spin halyard around the speakers and tie off to a shroud even with the mast when I am not using it.

Greg
Greg,

It looks like someone bolted an anchor roller to the top of your masthead. The SS loop that is forward of the jib halyard is a more typical masthead crane for a spin halyard. A swivel block should be shackled to it.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Greg,

It looks like someone bolted an anchor roller to the top of your masthead. The SS loop that is forward of the jib halyard is a more typical masthead crane for a spin halyard. A swivel block should be shackled to it.
Like I said, I intend to deal with the spin halyard this season. Not sure why the PO set it up,that way, but the roller is really hard to pull the halyard over. I looked at it when I was up on the mast to pull my wind instruments down for the winter. It really looks like an anchor roller...no bearings in it as far as I could tell...just a solid bar through it with cotter pins on each end.

Thanks for the validation of what needs to be done.

Greg

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
Like I said, I intend to deal with the spin halyard this season. Not sure why the PO set it up,that way, but the roller is really hard to pull the halyard over. I looked at it when I was up on the mast to pull my wind instruments down for the winter. It really looks like an anchor roller...no bearings in it as far as I could tell...just a solid bar through it with cotter pins on each end.

Thanks for the validation of what needs to be done.

Greg
I second that opinion. It should be replaced. I’d consult a reputable rigger.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
I am having trouble with my spinnaker hailyard catching in the jib as it is being furled or unfurled . Is there crain or extender that would move the hailyard block forward of the mast?
They used to fabricate a crane to add to the masthead. Whatever you get, it have to be drilled and tapped to thread into your masthead? You can see mine has 4 machine screws holding it.

This does the trick on my boat but I have to be sure I have the the pin in the jib halyard shackle oriented inward so it doesn't catch the spinnaker halyard when furling.

My kids(with a couple friends), used to roll the mainmast from our stored boat to the launching area.
Spar move 2012 2.jpg