masthead sheaves

Status
Not open for further replies.

lina34

Jun 13, 2012
Catalina 34 PPYC Nashville
First post here - new member. Tried to raise my newly repaired furling jib and the halyard would only go partway up - then it got hung up. Tried it again without the jib attached and it hung up. Seems to be an issue with the masthead sheave. CatalinaDirect seems to think I will have to take the mast down to replace the sheaves which are inside the masthead. Looking at the pictures I tend to agree with their assessment. Anyone been able to access the sheaves WITHOUT dropping the mast? Will be climbing up this week but wanted to get some ideas before I do. Perhaps some sort of friction rig that I can stand in at the top which frees up the halyards so I can remove the masthead? 1988 Catalina 34
ps: jib halyard is brand new and the diameter is the same as mentioned in the company specs. I am almost positive that the sheaves are original.

mortyd

Dec 11, 2004
Catalina 30 easy living
once again comebody called catalina direct instead of catalina yachts and got the wrong answer. i had my masthead sheave replaced by a GARHAUER ball bearing sheave and did not have the mast dropped, just climbed by a competent rigger.

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 380 16 Rochester NY
I wouldn't give CD such a bad rap. I suppose it's best to call Catalian Yachts first and I understand that CD is in the business to sell products. But I think CD has a vested interest in giving sound advice. The happier people are in the product (Catalina Yachts) the better their recomondations will be to others in the future.

I wonder about replacing the sheaves with the mast up. Wouldn't both sets of sheaves share the same rod? That means the only way up the mast would be using a block on a masthead spinnaker bail...

Others will have more experience, and I'm sure a professional could get up there. But a lot of times it's about doing the work yourself.

Chris

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Well...... you could use the main halyard with the spin for backup. There's no need to remove the masthead fitting much less drop the mast to change out the sheaves. Use a pair of needle nose vice grips to secure the sheaves while removing them... a loop of twine in the groov when inserting the new ones.

Also... I agree with MortyD... Call Catalina parts dept.... chances are it will save you money also.

lina34

Jun 13, 2012
Catalina 34 PPYC Nashville
My issue is: how do I stay up at the masthead without hanging on either or both of the halyards? I assume I cannot remove the sheaves while they are supporting me! And I assume they are both on the same rod. I plan to do this myself instead of paying a rigger since I already have the mast climbing rig. Put a strap over the masthead cap and lock myself in - that takes the weight off the sheaves and I can then remove them one at a time. Thanks for your ideas, guys!

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
My issue is: how do I stay up at the masthead without hanging on either or both of the halyards? I assume I cannot remove the sheaves while they are supporting me! And I assume they are both on the same rod. I plan to do this myself instead of paying a rigger since I already have the mast climbing rig. Put a strap over the masthead cap and lock myself in - that takes the weight off the sheaves and I can then remove them one at a time. Thanks for your ideas, guys!
www.c34.org/manuals/c34-mkII-owners-manual.pdf
Page 29......... Jib halyard sheaves are in front on their own axle, separate from mainsail and topping lift axle at the back.

Jun 3, 2004
Catalina 400 MkII Noank, CT
Not quite right....

lina34,
If your masthead is the same as my '87 C36 (which I'm pretty sure it is), then the refference to the C34 owner's manual is incorrect. That is not how the masthead looks. Maybe another year, but not an '87 (or '88?). It it necessary to disconnect both the forestay and backstay, take all tension off all of the halyards, and the masthead "cap" will lift out of the mast extrusion. Once the cap is out of the mast, you can access the pins holding the sheaves in place. It is not necessary to take off the shrouds, as they are attached about a foot below the masthead. It is not easy to do with the mast up, but it is possible. I wrote up the procedure in the C34 message board a few years ago:
http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,6055.15.html
It requires a lot of planning, and a very competant assistant at deck level who knows exactly what you are doing and one whom you have untimate faith in.

Last edited:

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
lina34,
If your masthead is the same as my '87 C36 (which I'm pretty sure it is), then the refference to the C34 owner's manual is incorrect.
but Tom...... he has a C34. That's what the profile says, anyway. Are you saying the Catalina 34 owner's manual is incorrect? Jeez.... has anyone notified the factory? It does say MK II... so maybe there's a difference..but it looks uncommonly similar to my Cat 27 masthead, also.

Jun 3, 2004
Catalina 400 MkII Noank, CT
Joe,
I understand he has a C34, but the 34 and the 36 share many, if not most/all components. Perhaps his '88 MkI is different from a MkII pictured in the owner's manual? I've attached a pic of a MkII C36 masthead, which looks almost exactly like my C36 MkI masthead. Lina34, I hope this gives you a better idea of what you are looking for and my description. The black masthead cap fits inside of the silver mast extrusion, so you cannot use the masthead for any type of support while changing the sheaves.

Attachments

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
The Mark I manual is also on the C34 site. Could be different, but Tom knows what he's talking about. Check the link he provided.

Also for the OP, you may want to join our C34 forum, too.

Good luck.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Well........ all we need is a picture of Lina34's masthead an the mystery will be solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.