Mast

Mar 31, 2013
Catalina 30 Wilmington
We have had a great deal of storms come through lately. Recently, I noticed the boat started shimming when the wind hit it. Odd...totally new. Then I see this piece coming down the back shroud this morning. Anyone know what this piece could be??? Clearly, it is not supposed to be coming down the back and I am thinking it coincides with the shimming.
Thanks so much for your ideas.

Attachments

Jun 5, 2012
Catalina 30 mkI Victoria, British Columbia
Very strange!! I just looked at the photos I have on file for the top of my mast and I didn't see anything that might come down like that.
That said - mine shimmies sometimes if the wind is just right. I always assumed it was just the furled jib waggling a bit...

Mar 31, 2013
Catalina 30 Wilmington
Isn't it strange??? I have been looking online all morning to try to determine what that piece could be. And nothing. But it is something! I have been in the boat in really heavy wind and it has never shaken like it did until the past couple of days. And it is a noticeable because the entire boat shakes/vibrates. Ugh.

Jun 5, 2012
Catalina 30 mkI Victoria, British Columbia
You better find someone to help you get up there.
Always good to check on things anyway. Also - make sure you take up a camera to document the top from all different angles. It will come in handy later, I guarantee!
Let us know what you find...

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Know anyone with a drone that could take some pics? Is it a piece of trash stuck to spider webbing or something? I can't see how something like that could make your boat shake. Keel bolted up tight?

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
IF ya have a friend with a drone, it can be surveyed quickly..
(Justin beat me to it by a few seconds)

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Is it the port side Windex tab encased in bird poop ? (and maybe a dead bat)..
seriously, sometimes it doesn't take much to generate enough additional turbulence to start a wire vibrating.. Von Karman stuff is interesting.. The raw stay probably has a tiny very high frequency shed.. the divot probably has a much stronger "shed" at a low enough frequency to excite the stay..
http://www.iflscience.com/environment/von-kármán-vortex-streets/

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
I opened your pic in a new window and zoomed in. Funny, it looks like a rodent climbing your backstay. Very strange, indeed.

Mar 31, 2013
Catalina 30 Wilmington
It is odd. I am intrigued to go home and see if anything has changed. I need a better camera. I have put the all call out on FB for a person with a drone.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
If you had a decent camera you could shoot a pic and then zoom with little to no distortion.

Mar 31, 2013
Catalina 30 Wilmington
I thought my cell phone would do it, but apparently not. I might try again with my camera.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
I have used mine to look at the top of the mast, just take a shot and then zoom in, the problem with a phone is the sensor is very small by comparison, sure it may be xx megapixels, but its on a peanut sized sensor

Mar 31, 2013
Catalina 30 Wilmington
So....mystery solved. Apparently this piece was at the very top to run a line if need be. I did not realize it was ever up there. So it has slid down with the wind/rain, etc. Tonight, we have a South wind and the boat is not shaking. I have tracked the weather over the past week and it is happening with the West wind. Odd.