Mast wiring

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 260 Lake Carlyle, Illinois
We will be dropping the mast on our 2008 Catalina 320. How do you access the mast wiring to disconnect? Thanks.

Apr 13, 2007
Catalina 27 TR Lorain, Ohio
I don't have such new Cat or know anyone who does but all cats I've see as well as most boats have disconnects at the mast base inside. The crane can lift the mast a few inches, reach in, pull the wires to disconnect. They are usually some sort of male/female plugs and/or screw connectors.

Aug 13, 2012
Catalina 270 Ottawa
when the must is pulled up put a 2x4 piece of lumber between the mast and the step; saves the fingers.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I found it a two person job, plus a crane operator. One person does the disconnect. One holds the base of the mast away from the hands of the person working on the wires. Crane operator takes directions from only one designated person...
Lift mast about 1 foot, enough to see beneath the mast for the wires. pull them out from inside the mast. disconnect, then the designated control person gives the crane operator the signal to raise the mast.

Alternately, some masts have an access panel ot the base. You remove the panel and the wires should be right there.

Take it slow and deliberate and you should be fine.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
:plus: That' s how we do it on our crane. I recently added an inspection plate from Rig Rite

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Or you do it like the guys in one yard I used did. Lift the mast a few inches. Reach in and pull the wires out. Cut all the wires and leave the connectors and wires on the deck. It's faster.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Justin... Not a car....
Boat Marina Worker... Sometimes wanting $$$$ like the car....

Aug 13, 2012
Catalina 270 Ottawa
Lift mast about 1 foot
Be careful how high you lift the mast. Most wiring does not have enough slack for that. Usually, you have a couple of inches, at best. Lift it just high enough so that you can dig out the wires. And I am serious about the 2x4 piece.

Marek