Mast Trimming and Bolt Holes

Jun 13, 2018
Catalina C-22 Orange Beach, AL
Hello all,

Pretty frustrated right now. So recently acquired an ‘81 C-22. Mast step was already shimmed once and original bolt holes in bottom of mast showed wear and one had pulled out. No big deal: cut it, re-drill, and use CD’s shim kit. Cutting went fairly well (trimmed an inch off). But drilling bolt holes did not go well. Despite measuring and using pilot holes, the bolt holes match poorly (bolt is at an angle and one hole is uncomfortably close to bottom of mast). Please see pics and advise. Re-cut or reinforce low hole? Really don’t want to add a THIRD shim. New mast? Any help would be most appreciated!

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
My mast is sleaved/reinforced due to a weakened hole for the mast pivot bolt, but I've never shimmed a C22 mast so can't assist there.

I do have a question though.... Why two holes ? Is that something to do with the shim kit ?

FWIW: That mast for the original series C22 is no longer made but CD implies that an alternative is available. $1000 plus extras ? if you end up gettting a new mast, hopefully you can find a used one.

Personally, due to cost, i'd just take it to a competent aluminum fabrication shop and have them fix it. They could fill/weld the holes and redrill them exactly.

Last edited: