Mast-top spinnaker for my 1992 Legend 35.5.

May 8, 2017
Hunter Legend 35.5 Lake Balaton
I want to share with you two important improvements on my boat. We lifted up the roller furling drum above deck. It works much better then the original version did and we can use the locker for canvas day-storing. It happened on some occasions, that going out on a 40-50 nm daytrip in a good 12-18 kts wind but by the time wanted to go back, the wind dropped to 3-4 kts or less. And I hate using the diesel-sales as I can have the noise and smell in town any time, even when I do not want it. I do not go sailing for that. I do use a symmetrical spi with the factory installed spinnaker system but I wanted to have a bigger kyte. So I decided to add a new spinnaker fix position 200 cm (6.5 ft) above the existing point right above the headsail. We tried last saturday with a 84 sqm (904 sqft) Lee Sails asymmetric spi at 6-12 kts true wind speeds. It is an all purpoise starcut cruising spi what I recently purchased from somebody. We were going up as high as 60 apparent wind angle. The boat was makin 6-6.5 kts by gps. It worked beautifully and I did not detect any significant mast bend to be alarmed with. The only problem was that we used the wrong type of rope and the spi fall was streching. As you can see on the picture, the 28 m rope streched 0.3-0.4 m. So next time we shall have the proper rope. As the maximum luff length is 15.5 m (50 ft) using the present tack point, there is more room and I am planning to borrow a 100 sqm light air spi and try it under proper conditions. Have a good sailing.

Attachments

Jan 30, 2018
Hunter Legend 35.5 San Diego
Thank you for sharing. I have a 1995 Legend 35.5 that I would like to rig for a spinnaker. It's been really hard to find information on the proper/best way to do it. My boat doesn't have a sheave above the forestay as some boats do and only one set of winches in the cockpit. It sounds like it works well for you. If you have any other pictures or information on how your boat is rigged for the asym. and are willing to share I would appreciate it!

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
no sheaves in the mast? No problem, attach spin bail to the top of the mast with a block, run the halyard external. Surely there are already pads in the cockpit unused for new winches as well.
Do you pole out your jib? Look up whisker pole rigging for a different option.

May 8, 2017
Hunter Legend 35.5 Lake Balaton
Hi SS,
Sorry for not getting back to you earlier. I have 6 winches in the cockpit so it is a bit easier for me. But never mind, when you use the spi you do not use the jib, so your winches are not occupied. I was told by shipbuilders, that in those times they made much stronger masts and at 10-15 knots of wind I would not have any problems flying a kite on the top without additional reinforcement. I just simply got cut out the mast and installed in the mast a sheave 2 meters above the jib halyard and pulled into the mast a new rope for the spi over the new sheave. That is all. The spi is using the security ring on the bow roller, in front of the jib (see picture). What difference it makes? See for yourself at 8 kts apparent. Good luck with it.

Attachments