Registered users don't see ads

Mast step s28.0c

Discussion in 'S2' started by Ob1session, Jul 26, 2017. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. Ob1session

Ob1session

Joined Jul 26, 2017
    4 posts, 0 likes
    S2 8.0c
    Us Charleston sc Charleston sc
    hello everyone I'm new to this site so here goes I've rebuilt a1979 s28.0c gutted her painted the inside did all the wood work new beta engine new sails Bimini hell almost everything lol but I love it did it all my self with help from friends. Anyhow I've found an issuer I think.. was turning the rigging today and I think the mast step is compressing under the post anyone got any ideas how the post is stepped to the keel? Help lol thanks everyone and if anyone has any questions I might be able to help with please ask I think I've touched every fitting or screw on my boat lol

Butch

2. BobM

BobM

Joined Jun 10, 2004
    3,209 posts, 5 likes
    S2 9.2A
    US Winthrop, MA
    If you gutted her, what did you find under the mast support post? Either the blocking under it failed or the deck core may be the issue. Working on it now myself sadly.

3. Ob1session

Ob1session

Joined Jul 26, 2017
    4 posts, 0 likes
    S2 8.0c
    Well I did gut her but didn't replace the duck so I don't know what's under there I'm going to get a bore scope and remove the fitting for the table and take a look see. It might be just fine which I'm hopeing or I might have to do some interesting engineering.. do you have a s2? And are you removing the post and taking up the deck? Thanks for replying

Butch

4. Ron20324

Ron20324

Joined Jan 22, 2008
    5,387 posts, 314 likes
    Beneteau 323
    US Annapolis MD
    Friend with a Sabre (34?) just had his keel mast step collapse. Too much to repai, insurance did not cover it, he sold it to a yard worker for a song. Worker will probably sell off the new sail, radar, and everything else and make $$$

5. BobM

BobM

Joined Jun 10, 2004
    3,209 posts, 5 likes
    S2 9.2A
    US Winthrop, MA
    Yes I have a 9.2A and yes I have the same problem. I just bough a boroscope as even after cutting an access hole (look at my recent posts) I can not clearly see through the 10 x 10" hole. Somebody else noted that the deck itself, between the blocking under it and the post, had rotted and collapsed. I can see that happening. It is just plywood with a laminate on top. On my boat the rotted area is right next to the head/shower drain. Yours is not I think. My mast is being removed next week so I can jack up the deck and shim or repair the decking, as necessary. I then have a surveyor coming to meter the deck so I can make the tough decision about whether to fix her or give up and donate her.

6. Ob1session

Ob1session

Joined Jul 26, 2017
    4 posts, 0 likes
    S2 8.0c
    Well I'm waiting for my boarescope to take a look see and I hope I'm good but if not I'm going to tackle it anyhow I've got way to much in it and I can take my mast down with a couple of buddy's sooooo I'm crossing my fingers and will keep you posted. Hell I've done everything else on the boat so we'll see lol

Butch

7. LeeandRick

LeeandRick

Joined Apr 26, 2015
    195 posts, 43 likes
    Oday 23-2, S2 26 Mid
    US Lake Havasu
    Hi Butch, We are in the renovation process of an 8.0 C also. We have opened up the sole in numerous areas with a 3" hole saw. About the only place compression would occur under the compression post would be the 1/2" plywood sole. There is resin that is very hard below the wood sole holding the lead (shoal draft keel). I think the fin keel has a wooden stringer under the compression post. You would see this compressing into the wood at the bottom of the post I believe. The more likely area is under the mast step fitting on deck. Very common in older boats. We just repaired the area in our other boat an O'Day 23. If yours has the Dwyer mast step remove the 4 bolts, once the mast is down, and dig around with an L shaped tool in the bolt holes to find the rot. Do a search on this site and you will find many ways to repair.

8. Ob1session

Ob1session

Joined Jul 26, 2017
    4 posts, 0 likes
    S2 8.0c
    Nice to see a fellow s2c restorer

I do see the compression under the post on the deck in the cabin. I got a borescope in the mail today and hope to inspect Sunday to see what I've got for sure. I'll report back. I'd be interested in your projects. I've replaced the engine raised the boom 18in so I can stand in the cockpit under a Bimini. New cushions ripped out all the carpet liner and painted. Reworked all the wood or my wife did . Newest project is hooking a pump to the ice box drain to pump it into the galley sink.. I retire in Jan and try's nag to get all the dollars spent before I retire lol

Butch

9. BobM

BobM

Joined Jun 10, 2004
    3,209 posts, 5 likes
    S2 9.2A
    US Winthrop, MA
    Just got my boroscope too. Lets compare notes later. My mast comes down some time next week. Perhaps Monday.

10. LeeandRick

LeeandRick

Joined Apr 26, 2015
    195 posts, 43 likes
    Oday 23-2, S2 26 Mid
    US Lake Havasu
    Let us know what you find. Is your boat shoal keel or fin? How did it sail with the reduction of area in the main when you raised the boom? What size head sail are you running? I have looked at raising the boom, also, but was a little concerned about changing the center of effort and getting the boat unbalanced. I sent you a PM also.

NEW rigid hatch covers
Hatch protection like never before. Tough, secure, installs in seconds.
NEW, updated Get Rid of Boat Odors
The bible of marine toilets and plumbing, expanded and updated for 2016!
Noflex Sewage Treatment
Treat sludge and odor problems in holding tanks.
Turn any toilet into a Raritan for a fraction of the cost
The Raritan LBA matches your existing bowl with the pump/plumbing of a PHII or PHC. save!