Mast Step -- Pics needed:

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
Folks-- despite a successful maiden splash date over the weekend-- I have manipulated and raised the mast on the combinations of original mast step, new CD mast step and new mast step with bracket for additional snap shackle connections-- none of which I'm horribly happy with.

Hence the challenge-- I only have this C22 as a reference point, so before I go hacking something up needlessly any chance you could share a close up picture or two of your mast base to mast step orientation and especially interesting to me would be the forward most point and any depicted gaps or lack thereof.

Many thanks in advance, and when I have her out of storage again mid week I'll share a pic of what I believe is problematic.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
What kind of gaps ?

Here's an old shot of the mast step on my '87

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
fantastic detail-- so I marked up @Gene Neill's photo as it showed the actual wear marks of the mast in contact with the base plate. My assumption based on the wear is that when your masts are raised there is no air gap between the mast and the plate at the leading edge?

In my case I have a gap represented by the blue line relative to the red which is in direct contact mast to mast step. My original step has the least of the gap and it widens as I add the extra thicknesses of the newer designs in place. I plan on rigging her up Wednesday again to get a closer look and compare the various pieces against the mast before it goes up again. Over the weekend I even removed the bolt from the base just to be certain nothing was mechanically interfering with the masts ability to seat flush on the plate for some reason.

I do have the older style direct to deck fitting without the benefit of the raised foot and mast wiring. I had thought about attempting the level the slightly crowned surface when doing some earlier epoxy repairs.... perhaps that thought is coming back to haunt me.

Drawing1.jpg

IMG_1797.JPG

Dec 23, 2008
Catalina 22 Central Penna.
I believe you’re over thinking this, the mast sits on this base, the stays keep the mast straight and centered on the hull were it should be. This base carries some of the weight of the mast and the wind load by the sails, but not all of it, the stays carry most of the load, Making even contact all around the base of the mast with the mast plate, as you have indicated in your photo, is not an issue.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
As a former dealer, the base of the mast not all the time sat squarely on the foot. First the curvature of the deck although not very noticeable and the rake of the mast backward during tuning. Food for thought.