Mast Step Parts

Oct 8, 2016
O'DAY 22 East End Yacht Club
Hi All,

Iv'e been repairing a 1977 O'Day 22 and I'm wondering if anyone has a picture of what the mast step components look like? It appears as though all I have is the "Shoe?" on top of the cabin then the mast sits on top of that. There is a hole for some kind of fastener but what actually belongs there? Am I missing anything?

Roy

Oct 8, 2016
An additional thought I just became aware of is that in my cabin there is no support post under the Mast step on the cabin roof, Do all model years of O'Day 22's have a support post inside. My model year is a 1977 and when I acquired her there were very little interior furnishings. Additionally in the specifications section, https://oday.sailboatowners.com/boats.php?mid=130, the mast is listed as 31' in length when in fact my mast is about 21' in length. Am I missing something here?

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
The 31' mast dimension is the mast height off the water, that mast would actually be 27'3" long. However, that is also for the 1980-83 O'DAY 22 which had a taller rig than the 1972-79 models. Your 1977 model would have a mast 22'9" long, which gives a 27'0" height above the water. All O'DAY 22s had a compression post under the maststep, intergrated into the main bulkhead.

Here is the original style mast step/tabernacle for the 22, used on the 1977 as far as I know.

Attachments

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2016
Thanks Sunbird! All your pictures look like what I have and now I can make that pin I see in the bottom of the mast. What was there when I picked her up was a Rusty 6" long 3/8" bolt. I have some 3/8" stainless rod around I can cut a piece from.
I really appreciative of all the help I receive from members on the forum. Trying to put together pieces of a puzzle is time consuming. I think I will buy an Ash column or Newell post and cut it to length for the Mast compression column but I'm not sure what kind of hardware was on the cabin floor and ceiling for securing it in place. Also the mast information in regards to it's length clears up the questions I had about that. For a while I was wondering if I had some kind of Bastard sized mast.