Mast Step Nightmare

Capri

Jul 28, 2012
O'day 22 Nashville
Hi, all. I've got a leaky mast step on my 1981 O'day 22. I plan to cut it out from the top following another process on the forum, but have the following questions. I appreciate the help!
1. Do I coat the plywood with epoxy before inserting it?
2. do I secure the plywood to the deck? If so, how?
3. What type of epoxy do I use to pour into the surrounding area around the plywood?
4. Any thoughts on how to ensure the holes remain where they need to be? I was thinking of trying to reuse the skin which would have the holes already placed.
5. If I don't use the existing skin, could I finished off the epoxy with a layer of gelcoat?

Again, thank you very much.
maststep.jpgmaststep2.jpg

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
Is the outer deck surface intact except for the bolt holes? If so, you may want to consider cutting it out from the bottom (inside). Cut far enough back that you get to dry unrotted wood and save the piece of hull liner if possible. You can find the good wood by drilling small holes up from the bottom (but not through the outer skin) in increasing circles from the center until your drill brings out good dry wood shavings. Then you can make your cut out to that distance and you'll have good dry wood to work with on the edges. Once you have done that you can then cut your new wood (marine ply or end grain balsa core, whichever is correct) to fit in that space you made, dry fit, then epoxy that in place. Once done with that, you can then glass in the old piece of the inner hull liner you cut out or just reglass over the wood entirely it if the piece you removed is unsuitable. Paint or gelcoat to finish as desired. The advantage of this approach is your repair is all done in the cabin and you don't have to cut a hole in the outer deck. Just a thought. Any time we had a soft spot in the J24 decks, that's the way we fixed it and avoided a lot of repair appearance on the outside of the boat.

I would use West Systems Epoxy to epoxy the new structure in place. See their website for info and videos on how to.

Capri

Jul 28, 2012
O'day 22 Nashville
Thanks, JRacer! Yes, it's intact. I didn't think about going from below.

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
That also leaves your bolt pattern in its original placement on the outside so you can then redrill for the step placement in the correct original spot. You should also consider allowing some time between removing the old structure and placing the new to allow plenty of heat and air at that wood to give it sufficient time to dry out any moisture that may remain after you remove the soft/mushy stuff. Fans and a hair dryers can help to accelerate that process.

Capri

Jul 28, 2012
O'day 22 Nashville
Good to know on the drying, my instinct would be to immediately knock it out! Thanks, again.